for $5,000,000 would you never drink beer again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
Sorry I changed the title, a poster had a better question. for me, I think that would be the minimum amount would be around $5mill AND I would have to be able to drink other forms of alcohol. If ALL alcohol is out then my answer would be no amount...just couldn't do it

Hell yeah I would. You said beer so I assume everything else is still on the table. Either way, I could easily give up even all alcohol for $5m.

I'm down! 5 million and I'd disappear and spend the rest of my life fishing and hunting and hunting

for me, I think that would be the minimum amount AND I would have to be able to drink other forms of alcohol. If ALL alcohol is out then my answer would be no.
I'm pretty sure this is one of the questions on the AA evaluation form. If you so much as hesitate, they admit you to the program :drunk:

If the average american can't I've up beer for $5mil, I think you have a problem. Now if you're true baller status and 5mil doesn't mean much to you then congrats! But it means more than beer to me :D

I'm pretty sure this is one of the questions on the AA evaluation form. If you so much as hesitate, they admit you to the program :drunk:

But still .... it's only money.

Yes, I know the value of money. I know for many, living hand-to-mouth is a real issue, and having versus not-having money is sometimes literally a matter of life-and-death: medicine or food; food or shelter; or any of a hundred other things.

But it's only money. It can't buy the things I believe in. It can't buy love -- and I say that with no irony over the aphorism. It can't buy those things I take with me when I die.

It can't buy the pleasure of a good beer shared with friends and loved ones.

So, no. I wouldn't.

If $5 million cash was placed in front of you and you didn't take that offer, you are either very, very wealthy, mentally unstable, or a savage alcoholic who will likely be dead from liver failure in a year...

I'll take that 5 million please

Should I send my routing number & account number ?!

5 million would get me to give up a lot of things !

Please PM me so I may forward you my banking information !

;)

If $5 million cash was placed in front of you and you didn't take that offer, you are either very, very wealthy, mentally unstable, or a savage alcoholic who will likely be dead from liver failure in a year...

If the house you are going to retire in is paid for and your children need no financial support, you have a well paying job that gives you enough extra money to spend on a great hobby.....I guess if you take out two of those "very"s I've got two out of three

Interesting question, interesting answers. But it seems like beer is being vilified. Why? I drink beer for the taste and enjoyment of it, not to get plowed. So I guess I really don't understand the question....sorry I'm not trying to be dense, I agree that money make life easier, there as much more important things in life.

If the house you are going to retire in is paid for and your children need no financial support, you have a well paying job that gives you enough extra money to spend on a great hobby.....I guess if you take out two of those "very"s I've got two out of three

Thats the thing 75% of Americans are in some manner of debt and about 40% of that number owe more than $50,000. On top of that only about 30% of American workers will have enough money to retire without government assistance.

The same guy that would say no to this offer is probably going to spend his tax return on toys for brewing rather than paying off a school loan or credit card bill.

It's a fun question and there is joking to be had but statistically speaking I think my assumptions above are right.

gets off soapbox...

I think the better question is not would you give up beer for 5$ million, the question should be what the lowest you would accept to give up beer, and it has to be realistic.. You cant say $50trillion.. Because I am pretty sure you would accept $49.5 trillion as well hahah :D

Personally I would probably do it for as low as 130,000 cash tax free, well at least it would be VERY hard to say no to.. Then I would switch to liquor haha.. $130,000 would pay off my house, leaving me a VERY nice extra chunk of change every month, meaning my wife should stop working and be a stay at home mom :D

Boy sure would be nice!! :D

Better question is could I still drink "near-beer" or is that out of the question haha..

This is a fun question, its nothing do do with giving up alcohol in my opinion, its more of a could someone buy your right to enjoying your favorite hobby.

Thats the thing 75% of Americans are in some manner of debt and about 40% of that number owe more than $50,000. On top of that only about 30% of American workers will have enough money to retire without government assistance.

The same guy that would say no to this offer is probably going to spend his tax return on toys for brewing rather than paying off a school loan or credit card bill.

It's a fun question and there is joking to be had but statistically speaking I think my assumptions above are right.

gets off soapbox...

If it Makes you happy no money in the world could replace it. All I'm saying. And beer makes me happy it is part of me.
I'm not rich, I'm paycheck to paycheck like most of us. But All I need in this world is my wife, kids and a fridge with some beer in it. Money aint no thing man. you make it to spend it. If I had 5mil I would drink more expensive beer is all.

If it Makes you happy no money in the world could replace it. All I'm saying. And beer makes me happy it is part of me.
I'm not rich, I'm paycheck to paycheck like most of us. But All I need in this world is my wife, kids and a fridge with some beer in it. Money aint no thing man. you make it to spend it. If I had 5mil I would drink more expensive beer is all.

best answer yet

$5,000,000 would buy a lot of whisky, so he** yes! Sign me up!

No I wouldn't give up beer for no amount of money; it's one of my simple pleasures in life and no amount of money would be worth denying myself its enjoyment. I'm in no way rich, but make a comfortable amount of money that gets the bills paid and gives me a little bit to play with. So could I use the 5 mil, hell yeah, but I'm not in such dire straights that I would deny myself a simple pleasure for it.

Lets say you make 100k a year after taxes 70k that's 71.5 years of working. Not to mention the interest that'd you gain during those 71.5 years @ 250k+ a year compounded. I enjoy my beer, but nothing is more important to me than me family and 5 million buy a ton of security for them.

Lets say you make 100k a year after takes 70k that's 71.5 years of working. Not to mention the interest that'd you gain during those 71.5 years @ 250k+ a year compounded. I enjoy my beer, but nothing is more important to me than me family and 5 million buy a ton of security for them.

Exactly. I wonder how many of the people saying "no" live life without the burden of kids and a mortgage.

I have a great life. I make plenty of money. But I don't have enough accumulated wealth to be secure, and with three kids, a stay-at-home mom for a wife, and an expensive mortgage in SoCal, I absolutely would trade beer for having that security.

Of course I would. Where do I sign?

I'd do it for $1/2 mil. I can learn to appreciate wine, scotch, or many other addictive beverages in beer's place. And I could afford to buy the top shelf stuff too!

I honestly don't see how anybody could realistically NOT take the deal. Even if it were no alcohol period.

The question is, how low is that number? $50k? No. $100k? No. $500k? Probably not. $1mil? Uh . . .

Back