Foolish/rash CL buy--need to vent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshamash

Reaction score
Hey All,

Perfect place to vent...maybe even get some support.

My buddy and I split the cost of a converted kegerator from CL. It was kind of a rash buy, we have been talking about making the upgrade for some time and when we saw the post we just went with it. Probably paid a little too much. It came with a Sanke keg and a CO2 tank. We were very excited to start kegging. The second we put the massive kegerator in my apartment I hated it. It is wayy to big and destroys the room.
Its always been a very quaint, clean apartment and with the kegerator it just makes it cramped and an eye sore. I hate it.

My buddy does not want to keep it at his house bc he doesnt think it will be used enough. So I am trying to sell it now. Disaster. I figured, CL, some college buddies frat lsiterserves and HB club FB page should do it. Hopefully. It has only been 12 hours since its been up and no bites. I know I should just sack up and not worry, but its really really bothering me. It makes me really upset and is distracting me.

I would like to start researching smaller set ups (mini fridge conversion), but I'm too distracted with my current monstrosity.

Ughhh. SO if anyone in the DC area wants a nice large kegerator with a keg (and an ice maker!)...besides for the awesome times you will have with it, you'll make this homebrewer a much happier individual.

:mug:

Saul

I love my kegerator. It's smaller than a standard fridge and holds two cornys easily and the door shelves and bottom drawer can be filled with bottled beer and it has a small freezer too, where I can keep hops or whatnot.

I went Vintage and love it. Only can hold three kegs. Larger than a mini fridge, smaller than a normal size fridge.

I would stay away from your minifridge idea unless you buy a prefab one. You usually have to bend the freezer element out of the way which is very easy to damage and once its broken its worthless. With or without the freezer element you almost alwyas have to drill a whole through the top of the fridge, which is often where the cooling element is housed making it very easy to damage once again. I converted a mini to a kegerator and it only lasted a few months before the bent freezer element quit working, and it never really got cold enough for my preference.

Decided to buy a brand new full sized black fridge that can house 4 cornies and a co2 tank with four taps on the front. The sleek glossy black exterior of the fridge and shiny stainless are an attractive addition to the living room :D

Also try e-bay and make a flyer for the local HB shop.

I sold some stuff on CL this week and it helps if you add the price and OBO @ the end of the posting title.

It'll sell just give it time

Fear not...just hoping you didn't pay tooo much. The value in what you bought is in the co2 tank, regulator and taps and coupler....all that could be moved to another fridge and sell the fridge you hate.

Small fridges and freezers can be found cheap in my areathe kegging bits are what you really pay for IME.

How much did you pay for this monstrosity? Not a penny over $200 I hope?

Fear not...just hoping you didn't pay tooo much. The value in what you bought is in the co2 tank, regulator and taps and coupler....all that could be moved to another fridge and sell the fridge you hate.

Small fridges and freezers can be found cheap in my areathe kegging bits are what you really pay for IME.

How much did you pay for this monstrosity? Not a penny over $200 I hope?

An even better idea!

I did the fridgidaire mini fridge conversion that's on HBT in the DIY section it was quick and easy.

You could also drink what's in the keg then convert to a brew kettle for BIAB.

I can understand your dilemma. I had a similar situation in the last week,but not with a buddy but I was with my best friend and roommate.

My wife found a entertainment center on CL and "loved it". I could tell by the picture that the unit was far to big for our space, I love the woman but when it comes to "spacial estimation" she is horrible. I have been married to this wonderful woman for 13 year, and she has humored more than one bad purchase that I have made. So off to pick it up, it took 2 trips with a pickup truck, before we got our of the driveway to pick up the second load she realized "our" mistake. Fortunately it was a very good deal, there is a buyer coming today to pick it up, and we made a buck or two to cover our time and her frustration.

If it is causing you to be so distracted and your not getting any bites, it my be worth it to you to take a loss. Personally I would look at it as "if this is the worst thing that happens to me this week/month I'm in good shape". Good luck selling it and remember you eyesore is another beer lovers great find.

Back