Foamy beer from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutNoDoubt

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm very new to kegging and just started using corny kegs in a kegerator. My system is not complex at all. I have the beer line running to a quick disconnect which connected to the keg and then the gas line running to a quick disconnect that is connected to the keg as well. I pressurized at 20 psi for a day and the. Let it pressurize at 10 psi and it has been at that setting since. For the last couple of weeks pours had been fine but since yesterday, my pours have been all foam. The only thing that happens between good pours and bad was that I disconnected the beer line from the keg so that I could put my beer gun on to bottle some beers from the keg and I had to bleed out all the gas and set it to 3 psi for bottle pressure. After all that, I have had problems with the beer not coming up the line sometimes and super foamy pours :(. Please help!

How long ago did you use the beer gun? Setting the pressure to 3 psi would most likely let a lot of CO2 come out of solution due to the lack of head pressure. I would bump the PSI back to what you had been serving at with no issues and let it sit for a couple days. If the beer is not coming up through the beer lines it sounds like the keg just does not have enough pressure in it, or its empty.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers

I used the DIY beer gun method on Thursday and try to tap out beer the same day and the next 2 days with just foamy pours. I thought maybe I had overcarbonated it. So you really think it would have just settled out after a few days when being set back to normal pressure? I depressurized the keg because I thought it may have been overcarbonated but if this is possibly not the case then maybe I should bump it back up to 10 PSI again and let it sit for a few days eh? Thanks for the reply! Any other opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

StoutNoDoubt said:
I used the DIY beer gun method on Thursday and try to tap out beer the same day and the next 2 days with just foamy pours. I thought maybe I had overcarbonated it. So you really think it would have just settled out after a few days when being set back to normal pressure? I depressurized the keg because I thought it may have been overcarbonated but if this is possibly not the case then maybe I should bump it back up to 10 PSI again and let it sit for a few days eh? Thanks for the reply! Any other opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

Yeah I'm thinking if it was pouring fine before the pressure drop that the drop is the problem. A day at 20 and then sitting at ten should not over carb in my experience.

Good luck.

Bobby_M said:
What is the inside diameter of your liquid hose and how long is it...exactly?

It's five feet of hose and I believe it's the 3/16 inch hose. Not too sure of inside diameter honestly.

Back