foamy beer after CO2 ran out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
I had a 15# CO2 tank.... lasted forever! (ok, maybe two years)....

any way... it just ran out and I swapped in a 10# CO2 tank as soon as I noticed. (before the beer went flat for sure)

But several of my beers are pouring foamy now.

When a CO2 tank goes empty is there any reason why the regulator would output too much CO2? Enough to over carb a few kegs?

And nothing else at all changed? Kegs didn't get knocked around, lines didnt warm up or anything of that sort?

It is intriguing... If your regulator is working properly, and your beer has equilibrated to serving pressure then you really shouldnt lose any carbonation while your tank is off/disconnected. Further, once you add the new tank, it is being downregulated to the same serving pressure so there really should be no change.

Yeah, I'm guessing something happened to the regulator between the cylinder swap... Perhaps it got bumped, dropped... Wet? And now the reading is lower than actual output = carb foam

Brand of regulator? Age?

The weird thing was the the kegs got more carbonated BEFORE I changed out the CO2 tank. I did not change the temp/lines/kegs.... or even move the kegs.

Maybe I turned up the pressure when the tank was running out?

Maybe pressure in the keg increased as CO2 came out of solution when the tank went empty? All I know is that the pour was FAST and foamy.

@cannman -
The regulator that I was using when the problem occurred, came with my start up kegging kit from William's. The model is kinda crappy (they don't sell it anymore). I am now using my Taprite model and a 10# tank.

Empty Tank = Co2 release out of solution = Air in beer lines = foamy pour.

It happened to me before when I had a leaky regulator and couldn't keep constant pressure in the keg. I bet the pours you do tomorrow will be OK if you are now supplying the constant pressure. no more co2 release.

the two foamiest kegs had less than one gallon in each. they have both been kicked now so problem solved!

I use the set and forget method on all my kegs. I have noticed that towards the end the carb level increases so as to change the head on a pint glass from 1/4" at the beginning of the keg to 2-3" towards the end. I always attributed it to the same volume of co2 being pressed into a diminishing volume of beer in an increasing head space, but what do I know?

I use the set and forget method on all my kegs. I have noticed that towards the end the carb level increases so as to change the head on a pint glass from 1/4" at the beginning of the keg to 2-3" towards the end. I always attributed it to the same volume of co2 being pressed into a diminishing volume of beer in an increasing head space, but what do I know?

the volume of CO2 (amount of CO2 dissolved in beer, per unit of volume) only depends on pressure of CO2 that is applied externally and the temperature of the beer.

So one possibility is the pressure increases as the keg gets emptied, as regulator is "struggling" to maintain the needed pressure over a larger available volume of CO2. More likely in my opinion is that the temperature somehow lower when you have less beer left. This would increase the amount of CO2 in solution (number of "volumes" goes up).

the volume of CO2 (amount of CO2 dissolved in beer, per unit of volume) only depends on pressure of CO2 that is applied externally and the temperature of the beer.

So one possibility is the pressure increases as the keg gets emptied, as regulator is "struggling" to maintain the needed pressure over a larger available volume of CO2. More likely in my opinion is that the temperature somehow lower when you have less beer left. This would increase the amount of CO2 in solution (number of "volumes" goes up).

Given the normal temperature stratification in the chest freezer (cold air sinks) the beer would get colder as the percentage of the remaining keg contents in the coldest part of the freezer increases towards the end.

I am currently am having this same issue with my beer every time I pour a glass it is all foam.

If the regulator did get bumped or dropped is that mean the regulator is done? Or is there a fix?

Any help would be wonderful.

Latest posts

Back