Foam controll, freezer storage, and potential loss question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CloverBrew

Reaction score
i'm making a large starter for yeast freezing. I have a 1gallon wine jug to make 2.5L, or larger, starters. im currently in the process of using Thames Valley yeast. on the 3rd and final 2.5L step. yesterday after 8 hours of sitting on the stir plate.... high krausen occured. much foam/yeast was expelled from the jug. it's in the fridge now awaiting my decision. which I think, if i get safe answers,is going back on the plate to continue. I dont think it was done.

two questions. was there a major loss of yeast from the blow off? and what can be used for anti-foam agent

I'm reading alot on fercap-s's main ingredient, Simethicone, being bad for you and needing to be removed. plus since i'm using the yeast for long term freezer storage will fermcap-s have a negative affect on the yeast in storage

also saw people using baby gas relief drops for anti-foam but the ingredients include Sodium Benzoate, which I thought killed yeast

to say the least i'm pretty confused. I just need some help with foam contoll

i'm using the freezing process described by Brewitt in an article freezing-yeast
)

Back