Fly in the Ointment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doed

Belching Dog Brewery
Reaction score
I had finished brewing my first pumpkin ale of the season yesterday and had my yeast re-hydrating. I had some sanitized foil covering the measuring cup that the yeast was in. I removed the foil and there was a fly in the cup with the yeast. It must have crawled under the foil in a spot where I hadn't gotten it secured properly. I scooped it out but since I didn't have any additional yeast I went ahead and pitched it anyway. Hopefully that little bastard hadn't just flown over from a big steaming pile of dog crap.

I think it will be fine. I checked this morning and fermentation has started.

It's probably going to infect the beer with acetobacter.

But you won't know until it's fermented. Good luck!

(FYI I was only kidding a bit. It's *probably* fine.)

We'll see, hopefully it will be fine. The pumpkin ale is the SWMBO's favorite. It would probably cause her great anguish to see me dump it. :)

The yeast will overtake the bacteria, but the bacteria may come back with a vengeance if you bottle. Be careful of gushers. After that comes bottle bombs... bad stuff:(

An update to this beer. The beer came out fine, no off flavors. Got lucky this time.

Back