Flux in female threads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemanach

Reaction score
I just installed the pull through fittings from brewhardware. I used stay clean liquid flux and in the process got it in the female threads. Any one have a suggestion how to get it out? Is there a solvent that will get the burnt flux out of the threads? Its going to be hard to tell if I got it all out being that they are in the female side on the inside of the keggle and I can't see it very well.

I'm curious about this myself. I built a brew keggle using those fittings and think I did a good job of keeping them clean. I'm now about to build my mash tun and will be using at least one half coupler pulled through and soldered. I'm worried about getting flux in there.

I hope Bobby will see this and pass along his suggestions. I used soapy water and then my own DIY oxygen brewery cleaner on my brew keggle to clean up around the fittings and it came out really clean. I also did a run of water, heated to a boil, to check for leaks and that may have helped dislodge hidden gunk.

What type of flux did you use? Some are water soluble, some can be dissolved with acetone. You might be able to wire brush the threads with a wire brush. Check the plumbing section of your local hardware store for a suitable wire brush.

I've e-mailed Bobby for his take.

The TSP makes sense, as that's part of the oxygen brew cleaner. Maybe that's why mine came so clean on the boil keggle.

Ah yes the instructions. When all else fails read the instructions. I will start soaking it in tsp and oxyclean right now

Yes, it is certainly in a tough spot to get a good look at it. If you are still not comfortable about using it to brew consider getting a tap and chasing the treads. This will easily remove any remaining flux and other foriegn matter. Don't use any cutting oil.

I threaded a pipe nipple in and out a few times. I'm thinking its fine.

Back