Flower Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneBoucher

Reaction score
Anybody know if i can make wine out of lilac flowers or are they poisonous. If they are not poisonous does anyone have a recipe or basic guidelines to follow. reason I'm asking is I know where I could pick a few hundred pounds of flowers, not that I will but I'm saying i could get enough to make wine if its possible.

Ok thats interesting what recipe do you think would turn out better? also am I able to use the flowers that have not opened yet and how exactly do you measure quarts of flowers, fill quart basket or a mason jar?

Ok thats interesting what recipe do you think would turn out better? also am I able to use the flowers that have not opened yet and how exactly do you measure quarts of flowers, fill quart basket or a mason jar?

I always weigh my flowers and petals, so I have no idea how to measure a quart of flowers- but either would do I suppose!

You want opened flowers, not over or under "ripe", if there is such a thing with flowers!

The dandelions popped here this week, and I'm almost ready to bottle last year's dandelion wine but I just can't muster up the energy right now. Lilacs are great, but I think even more tedious to use for wine than dandelion, and I'm pretty lazy right now. Make sure you let us know what you do, and how it comes out!

Soon I plan on using a recipe like the 2nd one on jacks page there. But I have rose pedals and dandelion pedals to try out.

Got the flowers cleaned [took 20 hours with scissors] and soaking smells like grass so far and is brown like tea. Is it ok if I use k1-v1116 I don't have any ec-1118 right now but i can get some tomorrow if needed as the brew store is within walking distance. Also what alcohol percentage should I make this at I was thinking 12-13 considering lilacs wouldn't have a strong flavour. Tomorrow I shall transfer to a 6gal carboy. For those who have made it what recipe did you use?

1116 and 1118 can be swaped just fine. They are like identical twins that way :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

We are making a batch of lilac right now going from the data on jack kellers website. So far the batch is bubbling like a fiend! It's a gallon batch but it would of been more but my wife thought I'd made a new tea...lol. Only thing I will do different next time I pick is I will wear a mask.... I got a week of hellish allergies out of this deal. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402280399.252536.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm surprised yours is still pink mine turned brownish after I added boiling water. I picked an extra 48 quarts of flowers and put them in the freezer for another 12 gal if this batch turns out good.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402600019.251812.jpg

Back