Floor Tiles for Garage Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjfischr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Like many, I brew in my garage. It's currently unfinished, and I was thinking of putting a tile floor down to protect against spills. Can anyone recommend one they use?

I was thinking of a cheap rubber tile like this:

18 in. x 18 in. Rubber Utility Flooring (13.5 sq. ft. / pack)

https://thd.co/1VTDyYi

Seems like liquid would get through the seams/cracks and would require you to pick up the tiles to clean. I'm sure those tiles aren't made for the weight of a vehicle if you also park in your garage. I'd probably go with epoxy floor coating or garage specific tile that (semi-)permanently attaches to the floor.

Agreed, those rubber "tiles" are nice on the feet, but will harbor dirt and water underneath.

What's wrong with using the concrete floor as is? It's a garage! For small spills use a bucket and mop or some large towels on the floor. For larger spills and mess, easy to wash down with a hose and broom, then use a floor squeegee to move the excess water to the drain or outside. It will dry.

Tiles can be slippery, especially when wet, keep that in mind.

I am not sure how much you need to protect fro spill in a garage. Most have a sealer on them to help protect from the inevitable water that will get on from either rain or snow/ice dripping off a car.
That being said you are welcome to try the rubber tiles. i don't think that they will hold up well to the weight of a vehicle, or to any kind of torction that maybe generated by the the vehicle being moved over them.

I have read up on this topic a ton - my garage is a bare concrete and the dust is impossible to clean.

My long-term plan is outdoor-grade porcelain tile. If you DIY, it can run $2.50 sq ft or less. Properly installed it is the toughest flooring, shrugs off oil, water, tools dropping, jack stands, freeze/thaw cycles . . .you name it.

Epoxy flooring is only as good as how clean the floor can be, and after 20+ years I doubt my garage floor is ever going to be truly clean enough for proper epoxy reactions.

And just about everything else runs $2-$3+ per sq ft, which puts it at the same price or more than porcelain.

Do NOT go with the rubber mats or tiles. Crap get's under them and just gets super nasty. As for tile, bad idea if you drive in the garage. The weight will, over time, cause the tiles to come loose from the grout. Only thing I did to make cleanup simpler was to fill joints (I had manual expansion joints and should have gone saw cut) with something called Integraflex 1921 -- http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/integraflex-1921/ -- which makes sweeping hosing out much easier. It is, after all, just a garage.

I don't brew in my garage, but i'd be more worried what all the other stuff on my garage floor would do to the buckets, than what a bit of liquid spil would do to the garage floor.

I have read up on this topic a ton - my garage is a bare concrete and the dust is impossible to clean.

My long-term plan is outdoor-grade porcelain tile. If you DIY, it can run $2.50 sq ft or less. Properly installed it is the toughest flooring, shrugs off oil, water, tools dropping, jack stands, freeze/thaw cycles . . .you name it.

Epoxy flooring is only as good as how clean the floor can be, and after 20+ years I doubt my garage floor is ever going to be truly clean enough for proper epoxy reactions.

And just about everything else runs $2-$3+ per sq ft, which puts it at the same price or more than porcelain.

Epoxy floor coating will work on any concrete floor as long as it is not crumbling. You do need to use a cleaner/etcher. I used the Rustoleum Epoxy kit about 10 years ago on a garage floor that was probably at least 40 years old at the time. It lasted over 6 years before showing signs of deterioration. I mentioned this to the Rustoleum representative and he was shocked that it lasted that long. It was not the newer Rock Solid kit.

$960 for the tile and more to install, or about $100 - $150 for the epoxy. I know which I would choose.

And remember when you drop a heavy tool on the tile it is going to break.

If you are worried about the epoxy do an acid clean, it will remove all the dust and loose particles. Rinse well, let dry according to the floor coating requirements(some say apply to damp floor.)

Epoxy floor coating will work on any concrete floor as long as it is not crumbling. You do need to use a cleaner/etcher. I used the Rustoleum Epoxy kit about 10 years ago on a garage floor that was probably at least 40 years old at the time. It lasted over 6 years before showing signs of deterioration. I mentioned this to the Rustoleum representative and he was shocked that it lasted that long. It was not the newer Rock Solid kit.

$960 for the tile and more to install, or about $100 - $150 for the epoxy. I know which I would choose.

And remember when you drop a heavy tool on the tile it is going to break.

Tile is only going to break if installed improperly. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum/268472-laying-porcelain-tile-garage-floor.html And that floor is ceramic, not porcelain. See also http://allgaragefloors.com/porcelain-garage-floor-questions/

Also, you say "It lasted over 6 years" where I would say "It only lasted 6 years."

Tile is only going to break if installed improperly. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum/268472-laying-porcelain-tile-garage-floor.html And that floor is ceramic, not porcelain. See also http://allgaragefloors.com/porcelain-garage-floor-questions/

Also, you say "It lasted over 6 years" where I would say "It only lasted 6 years."

I dare you to drop a 2 pound sledge hammer on any ceramic floor tile and expect it not to break. Unless you are talking a LOT more than $3 per square foot.

My epoxy is still good over most of the floor except where the tires "sanded" it off. If I kept the sand out it would still be good.

Remember what I used is nowhere near as good as the coatings of today.

I can also recoat for 54 years and still pay less than it would cost to tile it once.

I put the epoxy on my floor last year with the antislip flakes. Looks good cleans easy.

Process was quite simple ignoring that I had to empty the garage for a few days

I dare you to drop a 2 pound sledge hammer on any ceramic floor tile and expect it not to break. Unless you are talking a LOT more than $3 per square foot.

You clearly did not click on the links you quoted!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elJtN6nRlhk[/ame]

You clearly did not click on the links you quoted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elJtN6nRlhk

I would like to see him hit the tile near the edge rather than in the middle. It IS impressive. I still bet that costs way more than $3 per square foot - installed.

As I said I can recoat my epoxy floor every 6 years for 54 years and not spend as much and that is with the cheaper epoxy of 10 years ago.

added: I just read a link that said people can find tiles at home improvement stores at less than $1.00 sq ft. I wonder????

I would like to see him hit the tile near the edge rather than in the middle. It IS impressive. I still bet that costs way more than $3 per square foot - installed.

As I said I can recoat my epoxy floor every 6 years for 54 years and not spend as much and that is with the cheaper epoxy of 10 years ago.

Again, if you clicked on the links, you'd see that the person who posted that video (and whose garage is pretty well known around car and garage enthusiast circles) said that if he were to do it again he'd use tile from lowe's that's ~$1/sqft.

Here's another link you won't click:
http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/

Sure, cheap floor coating is going to be cheaper, but the right tile can be nearly indestructible when installed correctly.

Again, if you clicked on the links, you'd see that the person who posted that video (and whose garage is pretty well known around car and garage enthusiast circles) said that if he were to do it again he'd use tile from lowe's that's ~$1/sqft.

Here's another link you won't click:
http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/

Sure, cheap floor coating is going to be cheaper, but the right tile can be nearly indestructible when installed correctly.

I personally would not use any type of tile in my garage. Just my personal choice. First, the grout will be the weakest point. Pour any amount of used oil on those tiles. I don't care what you put on the grout it will wick into the grout and be there for ever. Secondly, I very much doubt that those tiles can take a dropped tool on the edges or a pointy tool like a screw driver. Which I have dropped in my house and it leaves a nice little chip. Not to mention that all it will take is one little hollow spot where the thin set didn't quite spread out and your replacing tiles. Third tile is slippery as hell when wet. I brew in my garage and could imagine brewing on wet tile. I'd hurt myself for sure.

I put an exterior concrete epoxy on my back patio 3 years ago. It still looks brand new. I put it on with a textured roller so it looks almost broom finished and is no-slip.

You guys, this isn't fragile glazed decorator tile installed on flexible floorboards or walls. Your experience with the tile in your bathroom or kitchen doesn't really apply here.

Commercial garages (like your high end dealership garages, BMW, Lexus, etc.) use this stuff all the time. It's extremely durable and is at least as non-slip as epoxy. Think about the kind of tile that's installed around a public pool or in a commercial kitchen.

Of course, a high quality, properly installed epoxy floor is also a great option. But cheap epoxy doesn't cut it. I had epoxy floor in the garage in the townhouse i rented for a few years. Looked great when I moved in (it was newly installed after the previous people moved out). Within the couple of years I lived there, it bubbled and peeled where car tires were on it.

Do you think these guys are replacing tile constantly due to the inevitable spills, leaks, tool drops, dirt and everything else that happens in there?

lexusofmaplewood_e_a002706066.JPG

That was just a random GIS result, but it happens to be a dealer service bay in Minnesota, where I'm sure they also have plenty of road salt that makes it on to their floors and probably plenty of hot/cold cycles during the winter months.

Professionally installed and more than likely not your $1 Lowes product. I have dropped some of those tiles from about 6 inches high. Some broke in half and others chipped.

Just googled service garage floor and looked at images. 90% of the pictures show a coated floor (epoxy). I wonder why?

I'm not saying it can't be done. I started in response to a statement that epoxy couldn't be used because the concrete was old...... Not true.

Professionally installed and more than likely not your $1 Lowes product. I have dropped some of those tiles from about 6 inches high. Some broke in half and others chipped.

Just googled service garage floor and looked at images. 90% of the pictures show a coated floor (epoxy). I wonder why?

I'm not saying it can't be done. I started in response to a statement that epoxy couldn't be used because the concrete was old...... Not true.

You could say the same about epoxy floor. Those service garages are using expensive epoxies that are professionally installed, not cheap lowes products.

If you drop your bucket of epoxy before it's installed, it will spill and make a huge mess. So, not sure how dropping uninstalled tiles is relevant either.

You can also damage epoxy floors by dropping tools or car parts on them. Drop a pickaxe and you'll damage tile, concrete, epoxy or anything else.

I'm not saying a quality epoxy floor can't be done. ;)

And to be clear, I've never installed garage tile and I've never had a garage with a tile floor. I was also a bit surprised to hear that garage tile is such a good solution and that it's not prohibitively expensive.

And to be clear, I've never installed garage tile and I've never had a garage with a tile floor. I was also a bit surprised to hear that garage tile is such a good solution and that it's not prohibitively expensive.

Prohibitively expensive is subjective. On my budget, even at $1 for the tiles. Adhesive, grout, grout sealer. Etc. IS prohibitively expensive....

Commercial garages (like your high end dealership garages, BMW, Lexus, etc.) use this stuff all the time. It's extremely durable and is at least as non-slip as epoxy. Think about the kind of tile that's installed around a public pool or in a commercial kitchen.

TallDan,

The original post said "Cheap" there are no cheap porcelain tiles that will last in a garage environment. I've worked in a commercial kitchen for 5 years. Yes they all have tile and they all have rubber mats in the high traffic areas because tile is slippery as hell. Trust me I've been ass end over tea kettle more than once on that tile. Most pools have switch over to Cool Decking type material (concrete epoxy). Way cheaper, last longer, and non-slip.

I don't know a thing about making beer. But I can maybe add to this conversation a little. I put the tile in my garage. That was me hitting it with the 4-lb sledge hammer.

june282012au.jpg

First, some things we ALL know to be true:

1) Tile is brittle and weak.
2) You could never roll a 500-pound engine across a tiled floor on the little steel roller wheel of a floor jack.
3) You could never aggressively hit floor tiles with a 4-lb sledge hammer and expect it to survive
4) You could never slide 800-pound steel cabinets over a tiled floor
5) You could never cover the surface of your automotive lift with tiles and have them directly contact a car they lift up in the air hundreds of times for year after year
6) And of course you could never drop a Wilton bench vise onto a tile floor, or dozens of other heavy tools, and not see terrible cracks

Right?

Well, except all of these statements are patently false. I've done everything on the list -- and then some.

So here are some TRUE things:

1) Ceramic tile is considerably stronger than the concrete it sits on.
2) I learned how to install my tile a decade ago by watching a few Youtube videos. It was pretty easy to do. So long as you don't leave voids under the tiles, you have an EXTREMELY durable surface.
3) Unlike epoxy coatings, I can spill a gallon of paint stripper on my floor and leave it sitting like that for a week and not have to worry about a thing.

The video of me hitting the tiles was made when I was trying to remove a bunch of them when I installed my car lift. It was a LOT harder to get those things up than I expected, and I'd installed the stuff with the basic Home Depot thinset and the cheapest grout I could find. I did not use a grout sealant or epoxy grout or anything like that. I used a dark color of grout so I would never have to clean it -- and I haven't.

I'll put the next part in bold, for the experts:

My tile cost 59 cents per square foot at Home Depot.

My all-in for the job was somewhere in the neighborhood of $350. But I'm going from memory on that, because it was 2007 or 2008 when I put the stuff in.

The picture above is pretty. But this is a working garage.

page5-1067-full.jpg

My epoxy is still good over most of the floor except where the tires "sanded" it off. If I kept the sand out it would still be good.

Remember what I used is nowhere near as good as the coatings of today.

I can also recoat for 54 years and still pay less than it would cost to tile it once.

I paid .59 a tile. With thinset and grout and tools, it was $350 for the whole job.

My tires (and the underside of my car) have left no marks on the floor. Nothing marks it except welding slag, which leaves tiny pinhole burns if I'm not careful -- and I can say without hesitation that I am not careful. :)

added: I just read a link that said people can find tiles at home improvement stores at less than $1.00 sq ft. I wonder????

Again, .59/tile at Home Depot.

I personally would not use any type of tile in my garage. Just my personal choice. First, the grout will be the weakest point. Pour any amount of used oil on those tiles. I don't care what you put on the grout it will wick into the grout and be there for ever. Secondly, I very much doubt that those tiles can take a dropped tool on the edges or a pointy tool like a screw driver. Which I have dropped in my house and it leaves a nice little chip. Not to mention that all it will take is one little hollow spot where the thin set didn't quite spread out and your replacing tiles. Third tile is slippery as hell when wet. I brew in my garage and could imagine brewing on wet tile. I'd hurt myself for sure.

I put an exterior concrete epoxy on my back patio 3 years ago. It still looks brand new. I put it on with a textured roller so it looks almost broom finished and is no-slip.

Ten years. Multiple engine drops. 800-pound cabinets that I dragged over it. I (literally) dropped an anvil on it once.

This is an amateur install on top of concrete that was poured in 1925 and subject to 84 ears of seismic activity here in southern California.

I used dark brown grout. My car needs 12-14 quarts of oil per change, and I've spilled gallons of the stuff. You would not be able to tell me where it spilled if you came to visit. Brake fluid; the same. Nasty transmission fluid? The same.

Tiles get three ratings from the manufacturer. One is their PEI rating for hardness (mine are a 4 on a scale of 1-5). Another is the water absorption rating, which tells you how the tile will do with freeze/thaw cycles. The final rating is a wet and dry coefficient of friction. My in .060 wet and dry, which meets the Los Angeles code for malls and outdoor public spaces.

I could go on. My pad had heaving issues, 84 years of oil stains -- I hit it with an inexpensive electric pressure washer, the basic thinset, and haven't had an issue in almost a decade.

I don't want to provoke the epoxy crowd. I've seen some great epoxy floors. But the list of people who are unhappy with their epoxy installs, from the high-end down to the el cheap Rustoleum kit, is very long. Manufacturers generally blame the installation or the concrete the stuff was put on. But you won't see that kind of volume of complaints in the world of ceramic and porcelain tiles.

@JackOlsen . Thanks for taking the time to give us your observations in a non-related forum. I've watched your YouTube videos and have to admit, that's a really nice space (and car :) ). My biggest problem with tile (ceramic or porcelain,) is no matter how well it's installed, if the underlying concrete gets settling cracks, those are transmitted directly to the tile above. The only time I've been able to prevent this, was to use a flexible mastic that allows a little movement between substrates. Thanks again for your input. Ed
:mug:

tile.jpg

Thank you, RedlegEd.

It's definitely possible to get cracks like that if your pad hasn't settled. I don't know how many guys who have floors that are actively cracking. But even with that, here's the difference between tiles and epoxy: it's an easy job to pull that row of tiles and put a new set in. When you're done, you're out maybe $20 in materials and you have a floor that looks perfect again. With epoxy, if something goes wrong you can't just do a 12" square fix without it standing out like a sore thumb. Even if you use the identical materials, and the colors are consistent from one batch to the next, you've got to deal with the fact that epoxy's color can fade over time.

theholeb.jpg

In my case, I put in my floor -- and then decided to add the lift. I cut all this material out, but even with such a big section of the floor removed, I didn't have to grind out everything and start over, or settle for a 'pretty close' match for the repaired/replaced sections. I just put in new tiles where I'd taken the old ones out. Once the grout was dry, you couldn't tell what was old and what was new.

I'm not selling anything. I hope everyone gets a floor in their work area that they're happy with. But as a moderator on the Garage Journal board, I couldn't begin to count the problems guys have had with epoxy delaminating, staining, chipping, cracking, pin holing, staining, peeling, bubbling and lifting. Getting consistent color across the whole surface can be a challenge. Sometimes getting it to cure is a challenge.

For every guy with a big problem, there are other guys who are happy as can be with their epoxy. I've seen epoxy come out GREAT. But there is a significant group of users out there that is unhappy -- guys who end up re-doing the job or settling for something they're not happy with.

In my experience, I've seen significantly fewer issues come up with tiles on top of concrete. And even if we accept that no one is perfect -- whether we're talking DIY or professional work -- the tile floor is much more straightforward to repair than epoxy. At least, that's my experience.

I know I'm going on and on. But I feel like there's this body of 'internet knowledge' out there that isn't entirely correct, but is put out there by epoxy installers who use scare tactics to get guys to out-source the installation work, but then blame the existing pad if the 'professionally-installed' floor starts bubbling or peeling. Tile is hard work to install. But for the type of work I do, I think it was far and away the best choice for my floor.

I work for a tile contractor. We put tile in auto dealerships every day. Several of our tile setters have installed tile in their garage. We do put down a coating of Redgard before nearly every tile installation now to keep cracks from transmitting up through the tile but this is mostly a problem with new concrete. Buildings these days don't let the concrete cure long enough.

There is also a big difference between ceramic and porcelain tiles. Ceramic is fine for walls but I would only put porcelain on my floors. As far as being slick, modern tile has all kinds of surfaces. The wood-look tile in my office has an wood-like grain that makes it pretty slip resistant, yet I can put all my weight behind drawing a knife blade across it and not scratch it a bit. We normally sell it for $1.29/sf but it is on sale for $.40/sf for our 40 year anniversary. If you aren't in a hurry and keep an eye out, deals like that are bound to pop up.

I don't know a thing about making beer. But I can maybe add to this conversation a little. I put the tile in my garage. That was me hitting it with the 4-lb sledge hammer.
Welcome to HBT! Love the garage and the car, I think I first saw it on Jalopnik several years ago.

We could help you start brewing beer in no time if you have an interest! ;) Your DIY spirit would definitely fit in here. :mug:

Tools dropping, no.
It will chip.

Jack stands, I wouldn't chance it straight on the tile.

Edit: I'm talking ceramic tiles, which I have in my brew area.

I stand corrected on the durability of the ceramic tiles, unless the floor itself cracks. For me, I will stick with epoxy. That is for the cost and the labor of the install.

But then again, if I ran into a lot of money I would love a tiled floor in a huge garage with classic cars.....

Tools dropping, no.
It will chip.

Jack stands, I wouldn't chance it straight on the tile.

Edit: I'm talking ceramic tiles, which I have in my brew area.

Ceramic tile, right here. You can see the flush-with-the-floor top of the lift underneath the car -- I covered it with the same tiles.

All+Up1323038726.jpg

Here's the whole rear end of a (rear engine) car pressing through a steel wheel onto one tile:

Jacked1268892394.jpg

(And in the background you can see the anvil I dropped on the tiles.)

Most porcelain tile have a compressive strength of at least 20,000 lbs per square inch. As long as you install so there isn't lippage, which would focus all the weight on an edge, they can hold just about anything.

Thank you all for the advice.
After all of the thought, I am going to avoid rubberized tile because of the potential for nasty, stick wort to get underneath. However, porcelain tiles, epoxy, all of that stuff seems like a lot of trouble.

I think I am going to stick with MaryB's suggestion as a neighbor already has used it. Heard it's a bit of a pain to get everything completely pristine and clean first but it seems semi-permanent in nature.

I would go with this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...ine-2-5-Car-Garage-Floor-Kit-286879/205697937 if you are concerned about concrete stains.

Personally... it is a garage floor, I have spilled wort several times, spilled spent grain.. I hit it with the garden hose and sweep the mess out the door and if it stains a little no big deal. It will eventualy collect oil under the truck.

Back