Floop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twanger1994

Reaction score
Not sure if im spelling it correctly: Floop (n.)- Brown colored foamy substance that form just before wort boils.

This is my understanding of the word. Ever heard of it???

Met a guy in passing at work that was a home brewer in the few minutes I spoke with him. He somehow got to talking about this... Apparently this light brown foam builds on top of the wort, just before it boils. He says as you remove it skimming with a spoon, as you do this it turns a very dark brown color.

I know when my grandmother made chicken soup she would skim that pot all day. But that's broken down chicken stuff.

Similar to that bad chicken stuff, This "Floop" is just some bad stuff. Easy to remove now, and less in the fermentation later.

Could not find any info on this: So im checking here!!

I've never heard that term. Is it possible you are referring to Hot break?

I thought that at first. but the hot break is after you reach 212. This happens at 205-210, on the way up.

(Not sure what is actually being removed by doing this.)

I get hot break about that point,before it boils...right before. Then it lasts about 3 minutes. I think it's just an old slang term for hot break. It doesn't need to be skimmed off.

roflmao! Makes me wonder where this stuff comes from? I think some old timer equates it with the funk you slim off simmering food liquids.

Back