Floaty Things on Gingerbug Rootbeer Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd75

Reaction score
Hello,

Apologies if this (or something like it) has been posted in the past, but I couldn't find anything specific.

I've been brewing a particularly great recipe for root beer with my ginger bug for the past few days and have noticed floaty bits on top.
For the primary fermentation, I let the wort sit covered for a day and noticed the floating bits on top, which I strained out before bottling. It looked a lot like the cultures you see in some brands of kombucha.
Now, in the bottles for the second ferment, I see the same thing. They don't look like the mold I've seen in other pictures.

Seeing as this is a wild ferment with a ginger bug and that there are about 15 roots/spices with some natural sedimentation, is this to be expected? I don’t think it’s mold, but rather a yeast culture, but wanted to check and see if anyone else has seen this with their ginger bug ferments.

If a picture would be helpful, I can take one when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

IMG_3602.jpg

Last edited:
Back