Floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I have a 2 gallon grapefruit ale with S-04 fermenting right now. It is on about day 18. I was planning to bottle last weekend, but got busy and let it sit. Yesterday, the top was clear; this morning, there are more floaties, and many of them are white and look chalky on top. Would that be yeast? It doesn't look like mold, but it also appeared out of nowhere (with a little extra bubbles in the airlock).

Anyone have any experience like that with S-04 before? I assumed it was done fermenting because it was very still and quiet, getting pretty clear. Not sure now if it's done. Temp has been in the upper 60s for a week.

This probably shouldnt be in the recipes section, but I have seen this with -04. I brewed a belgian that took off like a rocket and then didnt do too much for a couple weeks. When I went to rack to secondary it took off again and chunks were everywhere. I had a fair amount of chunks that would travel up and down in the beer. I think you are fine, but I did leave my belgian longer in secondary to make sure it was finished fermenting.

Oops, I was thinking it was an "ingredients" question, but probably an all grain or yeast question. I think I'll let it run until the weekend before I bottle. I usually do 28 days, but this is a Brooklyn Brew Shop recipe, and the last one finished around 14 days like they say.

Thanks for the insight!

Back