Flip top gaskets material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mascrappo

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a question on flip top gaskets. I recently purchased new rubber gaskets and they are really shiny red and look silicone-like. In my beer fridge I found a NOS package of gaskets that look like the original gaskets, more pinkish and rubber-like.

What is the difference and are the NOS still usable?

Thanks

Still available. I'm not sure if one style is really preferred over the other. I have used and reused the pink ones for a long time. I have some old bottles that are still holding carbonation. I recently replaced some gaskets with silicone ones, but I haven't been using them long enough to form an opinion. I made the switch to distinguish my sours from clean bottles, also taking into consideration that I could heat treat the silicone gaskets.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/rubber-washer-swing-tops.html

Silicone is easier to flip closed and can be heat treated. On the other hand, it's permeable to oxygen like no other type of rubber or plastic which is definitely bad for long term storage.

Newer gaskets are labelled rubber, but sure look like silicone. I used the NOS rubber on the batch I bottled yesterday.

That'd be silica glass. Tits are made of silicone, bottles are made of silica. The other way around wouldn't really work...

Back