Flensburger Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVHBass

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm pretty new to brewing and have decided to switch from the plastic bottles that came with my kit to glass bottles. I've been collecting empty bottles from 6 packs which I plan to delabel and reuse. I came across flensburger bottles which are 11.2 ounces but are flip tops. I do not yet have a bottle capper so I thinking about collecting some of the flensburgers to use them to bottle my homebrew.

flensburger-weizen

My question is will they be suitable to use? Will the flip top seals be airtight like with regular bottle caps?

Jason

Swing cap bottles work great for homebrew. Sometimes the gaskets start to fail so I replace the gaskets. They are pretty cheap. I have a crap of swing tops, mostly Grolsch, and most homebrewers prefer them.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Ok cool, that saves me from having to buy a bottle capper. About how often do you replace the rubber gaskets, every new brew? 5, 10, 50 brews?

Ok cool, that saves me from having to buy a bottle capper. About how often do you replace the rubber gaskets, every new brew? 5, 10, 50 brews?

I've read that most people either replace them when they start to dry out or replace them every 5-6 brews. Considering the gaskets are $0.08 apiece usually (I bought a 100pack for $8 at LHBS), it's still cheaper than crowns if you replace every 5-6 brews (usually $2.99 for 144 or so...for $0.02 each).

A 6 pack of Flensburger weizen by me is somewhat expensive ($12)...but since I'm only brewing 2 gallon batches at the moment I only need twoish six packs. And it saves me from having to buy a bottle capper.

Back