Flemish Red - w/ m00ps' super sour blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
@m00ps was kind enough to send me a sample of his super sour blend my way back in November. I propped it up and it has been sitting on my kitchen counter until today. I brewed up a flemish red based on the rare barrel's recipe. I ended up with 11 gallons at the end of the boil. Split it up into 2 batches. Both carboys got 250 ml o Wyeast's PC Saison Brett (3031) slurry. One got 200ml of the m00ps sour blend, the other 200 ml of a culture I grew up from New Glarus R&D "Vintage 2014" release. Brew day was a disaster, I forgot the B in BIAB so I had to raid the kitchen for some spare pots to lauter in to...

Recipe for 11 gallon post boil:
GWM Pale Ale malt 15 lb
white wheat malt 2.5 lb
c40 1 lb
flaked oats 1 lb
vienna 1 lb
flaked wheat 1 lb
midnight wheat 4 oz

started mash at 158 F, ended at 150 F (cold garage and naughty children stole my attention)

.8 oz hallertau ~5 IBU

Overshot my efficiency and OG ended up 1.054. Both carboys have the heat belts on and temp controllers set to 75 F.

I will add an ounce or two of oak cubes per carboy when racking down to secondary that were previously used in a batch of carmenere.

Looking forward to trying these out in the months to come!

I'm racking the beer to smaller carboys and adding some carmenere soaked oak for extended aging. Measured the pH of both batches (freshly calibrated milwaukee MW012 meter). m00ps batch is at 3.27, NG dregs batch is at 4.07. m00ps blend is definitely sour already! I will definitely be saving a healthy culture of the m00ps cake.

Back