Flavor help, Gnome Vanilla Cream Soda.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyG515

Reaction score
I just finished my second batch of Gnome vanilla cream soda. I didn't use enough yeast in the first batch and it didn't carbonate properly. Carbonation was spot on this batch as was the acidity. Body was a little light but really not bad overall. The only issue I really have with this batch is the flavor. Here's how my process went.
Rehydrated 5/8 tsp Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast in 1 cup 90* water

Heated 1/2 gallon water to 150*, added 2 1/2 cups cane sugar and 1 cup brown sugar and 5 Tbsp maltodextrin and 1/2 packet gnome vanilla cream soda extract.

Cooled syrup mix in cold water bath till tem dropped to around 115.

Added yeast and topped off with hot water to 2 1/2 gallons.

Bottled in 2 liter bottles and let carbonate for 4 days.

I'm a noob to making soda. How do I change the flavor profile of the soda? It just seemed a little lack luster or watered down. The extract was meant for 5 gallons and I used half. The flavor isn't bad, it's just not... right. What can I do to enhance the flavor? Did I skip a step or screw something up? Does the flavor change as it sits in the fridge? TIA for any and all help/tips and pointers

-Matty

We use these extracts without fail. Usually we use a variety of sugars ie honey, brown cane...

Back