Flavor fades too quickly. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derp

Reaction score
I brewed a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone using a variation of the Northern Brewer recipe. It was very tasty, but I asked a friend to critique it against a bottle of the real deal. I trust his tasting skills completely; I fear that my tastebuds have withered with age. I understand that the bottled version is different than the cask version served in the UK, and I also understand that the bottle may have been several months old. Anyway, here goes;

He said that that my clone was very similar to the real thing, but he said that my brew "came on strong, but diminished very quickly." Is that a bitterness issue or a (perceived) maltiness issue? I don't know how to approach this in future attempts. I added a small (0.5-ounce in 10 gallons) dry hop that the recipe didn't call for.

He also said that there was a little more 'middle" to the real thing. I think this could be solved with a tiny increase to the crystal addition. Yes? No?

I guess what I'm really asking is "What would cause a beer to "finish" early and how can such a perception be changed?

Thanks for your input!

Back