flavor blending party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FromZwolle

I don't want to be cremated, I want to be malted.
Reaction score
i had an idea for a "party" for some of my friends and relatives interested in brewing and craft beers in general. I would take it upon myself to brew 1/2 to 2 gallon batches of just one grain type to really explore a particular grain profile. I'd love some feedback about how to proceed. I was thinking of going with one plain two row batch and then another of each: munich, vienna, crystal 10/60/120, and chocolate malt. With each 'flavor' properly aged/carbed, one would mix the brews in a glass to build your own beer. I thought it would be a fun way for everyone to really understand what each malt brings to the beer and may just unlock some really interesting combinations. Any suggestions about what malts i should omit, have forgotten, etc. Also they will probably be limited to one hop variety, just to simplify things and most will have some 2-row added for conversion. this is just an idea for future experamentation as of now, so if anyone wants to beat me to it and share their results, that would be great. :rockin:

I've thought about doing something very similar with a friend of mine. I'd be very interested in hearing how your party works out! Good on yah!

As a note, I don't believe you wouldn't be able to really ferment a full chocolate malt batch. From what I understand, there's not enough diastic enzyme there to convert the starches into fermentables. You could still steep it and mix and match as you were planning. You just wouldn't get the abv. The bigger crystal I think falls in that same category, although that one I'm not sure on.

to clarify a bit. i would be brewing about 5-10 batches of 2-row that were heavily loaded with just one specialty grain and one larger batch of 2row by itself to use as a 'canvas' for mixing these flavors into. The 2-row base should be enough for conversions.

I think it would be more interesting and beneficial to your brewing to just do SMaSH brews with the 2Row, Vienna, Munich, and other Bases such as MO, White Wheat (can be mashed alone), Pils.....

Latest posts

Back