Flat lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingersbrew

Reaction score
Hi I'm a beginner & need some advice please. Iv been brewing a coopers lager & it's flat. This is the end of 4 weeks now & still no change. ?

By flat do you mean no activity in the fermenter? Lagers need a lot more yeast than ales, my guess is you did not pitch enough yeast. You did pitch yeast right? ;) Unfortunately, kits don't come out and tell you that you need more yeast. Without knowing your starting gravity and type of yeast, I can't tell you how much you underpitched. Search for a yeast pitching calculators online or use the one at mrmalty.com to help you understand pitching rates.

Also when you say no change, have to taking a gravity reading? If you are using an ale pale, you don't always get activity in the airlock because the covers don't seal right sometimes.

The coopers lager kit is actually an ale. I suspect he means he bottled it and it's just not carbonated yet. You may want to move it to a warmer location, 70F or so to help it carbonate if its not getting fizzy.

OP- is this correct? If so, did you add sugar to the beer when you bottled it?

Back