Flat Broke Brewing finds a home....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calfj60

Reaction score
077C4D48-0CE3-4055-A447-23B082076101.jpeg
To start the story, we packed up our world 3.5 years ago and left it all behind in storage in a place called Los Angeles. We lived a few different places, Omaha, Milwaukee, Norman and decided it was time to find our home for part two of life. So here we are living in a much more rural place in the middle of our great county. We have a lake for a back yard and corn fields for our front yard. My collecting of brew supplies have been moved and collected dust long enough. The plan was take up some space in our three car garage and make a brewery space. Well after changing injectors in my diesel pick up on the 31st of December, it was 30 in the garage other options were put in motion.

The basement might work...the fact we have a basement is a dream come true for a guy born and raised in SoCal. So the cleaning and organizing began.

0277FEDF-27DA-42ED-A1BA-5448E7C99D15.jpeg
03A490A8-C298-44CB-8DB8-7D8F66C81BC1.jpeg

The wall is not load bearing and is merely being built to close up my space. Door is glass main with a wood frame. I will be plumbing in a sink, adding 50 amp sub panel and 6” vent.

5C2C1E41-0FCB-4F68-B334-874B5FAC3A5D.jpeg

Built these on Father’s Day.. mounted to the concrete on back and one end. Yes they will hold some weight.. I’m not a small man.. 290ish on a good day.. and this is where we stand today

378AD31D-BBB5-4DEB-B1BA-37BD38997F2F.jpeg

Started boxing in the hvac and I beam

6809AB82-C61B-475F-A303-79A1CC91E7BB.jpeg

And the pallet wood is going up. Decided after covering this side I was going to drop the ceiling and cover some plumbing. Well I know nothing about drywall. So let’s see watch happens next.

Looks good! I’ve recently stumbled into drywall work on the house and found when muffing, a pan of water and window squeegees cut down on the sanding considerably.

Now that looks bad ass! We'll be looking to get our basesment finished next year and I love that idea for the ceiling.

I’m pretty happy, but still have the other side of the ceiling to do. Then plumbing and electrical, then paint and getting it all moved in.

I think so, have the fan and a plan. It’s all gotta work before I close up the ceiling. But I think it should work, small run and 2 90’s and out the wall.

The best thing that has happened to the project so far is finding the sawzall pallet video. I would have quit weeks ago as taking them apart with a hammer and crowbar is terrible, and I was loosing lots of good wood in the process.

The best thing that has happened to the project so far is finding the sawzall pallet video. I would have quit weeks ago as taking them apart with a hammer and crowbar is terrible, and I was loosing lots of good wood in the process.
Did I miss a link to the sawzall video?

Well back at it, the small things tend to take forever, but I’m gonna do them one step at a time. Figured if I was gonna do some plumbing what not add a faucet / pot filler?

Sorry, here are the pics

Attachments

• CD52AD13-AB81-4197-86F0-33347DB554AB.jpeg
    CD52AD13-AB81-4197-86F0-33347DB554AB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 360
  • CFE050E8-EDE8-4646-8611-DC5DAAF9A409.jpeg
    CFE050E8-EDE8-4646-8611-DC5DAAF9A409.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 362
  • 7F4DC642-72FF-47B3-9A06-229E1795BF0C.jpeg
    7F4DC642-72FF-47B3-9A06-229E1795BF0C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 356
522F220D-8AF2-4C75-8D12-8BFCD4E689D5.jpeg
C676FB43-E1DF-4ED1-AEC5-C5AE086F4AEC.jpeg
Not a lot done, but get the wiring done on my lights and started wiring my plugs on the wall above the tables I will be using.

Did you seal or paint the concrete floor? Good chance to do it before you load the place up with stuff. There is a water based low voc non skid product from Watco floor paints, I think called Safety Coat I used in my brew cellar, nice to know spills won't sink into slab..

No I have not treated the floor but maybe I should. Where did you get the stuff you used? Since I don’t really wanna paint the floor.

This is what I used in basement. You have to use two or three coats for it to hold up.

https://www.watcofloors.com/safety-coat-anti-slip-floor-coating.html

I have used different epoxies on ground level slabs and shipping containers, but some of that stuff sends out very toxic gas when curing. I chose the one linked above for cellar as was leery of using stronger smelling stuff in stuff in enclosed basement. As it is, I used a good respirator, because low voc does not mean no voc.

If using the commercial garage floor epoxies in cellar, one should have an air supplied respirator, I put that stuff in my shop; two, two part epoxy steps, the stuff out gassed for a couple of days.

IMG_1215.JPG
It says that a gallon will cover 240 sf. Is that 1 coat?

I believe that is for the recommended two coats.

If your floor has ever been sealed before, even if the cheap stuff some slab installers use, there is a primer they recommend, which I used, for a total of three coats. Areas where I tried to stretch it out or before I applied the second coat were not as durable.

Here is a file picture of that stuff in green. Floor needs to be swept and mopped, but at least spills are not in slab forever.

Last edited:
Back