Flat beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova5

Reaction score
brewed the Pecan Porter from AHS as a extract kit (liquid). Primary for 2 week, moved to secondary with bourbon soaked oak chips for 1. FG same for 3 days. Boiled the priming sugar packet they sent, let it cool a bit then poured it into the bottling bucket. drained the wort onto it from the BBcarboy. And bottled it. after 3 weeks I cooled one in the fridge for a day. Opened it to the slightest hiss of gasses. Not even what you normally get from a commercial brew. just a puff that barley registers.

flat as a board. Cooled another 5 days later, same thing. Now, these two came out of the same 6pack, so they are from the same part of the bucket. I might try cooling one from the other end of the packs.

thoughts?

1. How much priming sugar was in the packet?

2. Assuming that's not the issue, you might have just gotten a bad bottle. Sometimes a couple bottles out of a batch won't carb properly. It happens. Try another bottle.

3. Let the beer sit a few more weeks. Some beers take longer to carb up.

1. How much priming sugar was in the packet?

2. Assuming that's not the issue, you might have just gotten a bad bottle. Sometimes a couple bottles out of a batch won't carb properly. It happens. Try another bottle.

3. Let the beer sit a few more weeks. Some beers take longer to carb up.

1. Kit, however much they sent. Sufficent for the 5gal batch.

2. two bottles were tried as indicated.

3. AHS predicted 3 weeks to readiness.

1. Kit, however much they sent. Sufficent for the 5gal batch.

2. two bottles were tried as indicated.

3. AHS predicted 3 weeks to readiness.
Was it a cup of corn sugar? That's generally how much I've used, however some people use 3/4 cup depending on the beer style.

Every lhbs or vendor can predict how long it will be and generally 3 weeks is good but some beers need longer. What was the OG and FG?

My advice is try one more bottle from a different part of the bucket and if that's flat then let them sit for another few weeks.

what temp are the bottles sitting at ?

Also, porters/stouts and the like can tend to take a little bit longer to carb up properly.

I had a vanilla stout that didnt really carb up to a level i really enjoyed til about 5-6 weeks. I also only had less than a case of them left at that point because they were still good!

Back