Flat beer with carbonation drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mascrappo

Reaction score
I have been trying the Cooper's carbonation drops, 3 to a liter, and so far not pleased. Before I criticize the product, I am wondering if just using one packet of yeast for 5 gallons is my problem? Perhaps there is not enough yeast left to convert sugar drops? Reviews have been mixed on the Cooper's drops, but overall favorable, this is why I tried them. Any thoughts? Thanks

There's some other issue with your process besides the drops.

What are you trying to carbonate?
How long has it been since the end of primary fermentation?
Are the bottles properly sealed?
What temperature are you keeping the bottles?
How long has it been since bottling?
You added the drops directly to the bottles?

The reviews I see are overwhelmingly positive.

I brewed a Dortmunder lager and an Ale. The Dort sat in cold (40-50) storage for a month, had to pry some of them off, almost like a vacuum? Maybe it needed longer, but it should have had a little pop after a month I would think?

I use flip top bottles with soft, pliable gaskets. I thought maybe that was an issue, but as stated, they appear to be holding fine.

While the Ale has not sat long enough, it too was completely flat. I am not writing the Ale batch off just yet as it needs more time to condition, and I also moved it to a warmer location.

I added the drops directly to each bottle. Yes, I read the reviews are good, this is why I tried them.

The Dort sat in cold (40-50) storage for a month
You need to warm them up to carbonate, like 68-75°F. Temperature was definitely the issue.

FYI:
Rousing the yeast drastically speeds up carbonation. My beers carbonate in about 2-3 days.

Well that makes sense, but I thought lager yeast liked it cold so I kept it cold! :rolleyes:

Ale is moved into kitchen now where it's warmer... Will work on lager tomorrow.

Well that makes sense, but I thought lager yeast liked it cold so I kept it cold! :rolleyes:

Ale is moved into kitchen now where it's warmer... Will work on lager tomorrow.

Lager yeast really likes it warm just like ale yeast but the point to making a lager is to have a clean ferment with no off flavors which the yeast will give you if you let ir ferment warm. Once the ferment is over you can late it warm up to carbonate or you can keep it cool forever and it will eventually carbonate but you might die of thirst waiting for it. Once the beer carbonates it can be stored at room temp or cooler. If cooler, more suspended yeast will settle out giving your lager an even cleaner taste.

RM-MN I wondered about that. My first batch of Dort had plenty of yeast in the bottom after fermentation, my wife took it and "fed it" then made wonderful homemade bread from it. She left the "starter", as she called it, out in room temperature kitchen, and it thrived.

Drops sound like a pain!!! Why not just add 1 cup of dextrose water to the entire mixture and then bottle? So cheap, and you don't have to put drops in every bottle. Dextrose = priming sugar. Boil 3/4 - 1 cup of it in 2-3 cups of water...then add it to the bottling bucket...stir....bottle...done. And yes, first thing that came to my mind is temperature ...you'd probably need to bottle around room temperature and let those bottles sit for 3-5 days in room temperature 65-70+ degrees....then you throw them in the fridge to cool.

Latest posts

Back