Flash Pasteurization of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Can any one here offer me an advice or help in this subject?
I have a porter batch that got some contamination, and started molding. At first I thought it was Brit-infected, but in a month time I realized it was not Brit. However, the mold off-flavor is very subtle. I'm planning to flash pasteurize the beer and doze it sour bugs.
My plan to flash pasteurize is to heat my HLT to ~180F, pump the beer through my HRMS slowly to reach 165-170F, keg it in a clean keg and introduce lactose, sour bugs, and maybe Raspberries.

My question(s) are:
1- Is my way of flash pasteurization good, would it work?

2- Does my plan, in general, sound good?

FYI, this is a standard ported ~4% Alc, 30 IBU. Yes I know 30 IBU is tough for lactobacillus and bugs. but...

Cheers

Mold is an off flavor and not something to shoot for in a wild beer, so my advice would be dump it. Anything else is throwing good money after bad. If you want to do a sour, by all means do one, but do it the right way, and the right way isn't by winging it with a moldy base beer.

A couple other problems, with a 4% beer you don't have a whole lot of fermentables left after primary. Even adding lactose might not give them enough to chew on to do much souring. And like you said, the IBUs are also going to be a problem as they will slow the souring process significantly with lactobacillus. You can pitch pediococcus but you have to pitch brett along with it or you'll likely to end up with moldy buttered popcorn notes. Assuming you really meant adding raspberries to the keg, I would also advise against it. Unless you have some kind of very fine mesh to contain the fruit, it's going to clog your diptube.

Back