Flaked Oats or Flaked Wheat in NE DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
In my never ending quest to perfect my New England Style DIPA, I'm dialing in some of the fine points of my recipe. I posted a thread about hopstand vs dry hop additions and quantities, and I think I have that where I want it.

My last question before I brew what I hope is the final version of my DIPA recipe this weekend is whether to use flaked oats or flaked wheat in addition to the White Wheat I already use. I'm shooting for about 15% of whichever I go with.

Is one better than the other for this style or are they pretty interchangeable? I've used both and I can't tell much difference in the body and mouthfeel they create, but I've never done a side by side.

Oats! It's "creamy" where flaked wheat is not.

I only used 13.6% flaked oats in my last NE IPA, and while it's hazy, it's not as creamy as I would have liked. It's really nice, and I like it, but next time I'll go to 15% I think.

when I think flaked wheat, I always think it's just to help the head and foam feel while oats effect the mouthfeel of the beer.

Not much help here, but agree with the "creamy" feel of the oats.

+1 on oats for the creamy smooth mouthfeel

I like wheat also, seems to add a 'fruit' character. I use it in lots of beers. Does the same to bourbons, wheated bourbons are fruity to me where rye bourbons are more floral and spicy. Same characters in beer, just buried deeper.

Latest posts

Back