Fizzless in St. Louis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
Every step of the way on this Saison has been a battle, so why would bottling/carbonation not also give me fits? I've had this in the bottle for 4 weeks now. When I was at the 2 week mark, I opened a bottle and barely a perceptible "pfft." Ok.. patience. Now 2 weeks later, and the same thing. Just about zero carbonation.

I'm wondering if the high... 10.2% ABV might be a factor. Are my yeasties drunk and lazy? :drunk: Other points worth noting - This beer spent a relatively long time in the secondary... almost 3 months. FG was a 1.002. I used 1oz of priming sugar per gallon. Also, for yeast.. I started with a Wyeast 3724 and finished with a 3711.

So I'm looking for 1)Theories on why I'm fizzless; and 2)Suggestions on how to fix this. I do have kegs/keg fridge. So one thing I'm considering is just dumping all the bottles in a keg once I get one emptied. The other thing I'm pondering is adding carbonation drops to the bottles.

All theories and suggestions are welcome and much appreciated!

Don't add carbonation drops. If you already have priming sugar in the beer than the drops will just over carbonate them. That high of an ABV and duration in the secondary have made a rough life for the yeast. They won't be that quick at eating up any sugars. I had a beer like this that took almost 6 months to fully carbonate. It's just part of making a big beer. You have to wait.

Latest posts

Back