Fixing Bland Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a pilsner on new equipment, got low efficiency, corrected with DME. Now I have a bland beer that tastes about like a macro lager. I can just keep drinking it, or brew again and dump it. I also considered dry hopping in the keg, or blending. I could blend it with the current APA, or brew a small batch to blend into it. My current thought is to test the blend first by mixing in a glass. If that works I can combine the two kegs. Dry hopping or hop tea is the next easiest. Hardest but not very hard would be to make a stovetop batch of hoppy malty brew to mix in. What have you tried, and how well did it work?

I only ever had such an outcome happen once - resulting in an insipidly under-bittered wheat beer. Fortunately that's a rather simple problem that I was able to satisfactorily correct by making up a somewhat concentrated Mittelfrueh tea to get the added bittering with a minimum of additional volume...

Cheers!

If all that is wrong with it is underhopped, I'd go with hop tea if I just want more hoppiness. If I wanted fresh hops taste, I'd dry-hop. You can put a hop pellet in a glass, let it sit a few minutes, then try it to see if that's what you want.

And of course revise the recipe for next time.

I don't care for macro American lagers, but obviously a ton of people love them. There's a chance you perfectly brewed the recipe and just don't care for the recipe.

You could try adding some quality vanilla extract. Try mixing a little in a glass and if it tastes good add equivalent volume to your keg.

What have you tried, and how well did it work?

well being i usually distill my 'dumpers' because there's no such thing as a dumper to me...so give a few weeks on some oak?

might turn iot into something like a fine oak aged white wine?

Thanks guys. I took the first step and tried an even mix with my Rye Pale, not great. I now remember bottle hopping a faded IPA and improving it, so a keg hop is certainly viable. Thanks @eric19312 , you remind me that I have hop extract on hand. That is likely the simplest next step. I plan to bottle some first, for those rare BMC fans. Maybe I'll bottle hop a couple and see how that goes. Thanks again.

or use the bland beer to experiment with different additives.
spike each glass with ...
your favorite liqueur, hop concentrates, fruit, spices etc.
use it as the base for a new future unique recipe.
or give it to people who only like light beers
use as slug baite in your garden
or people you don't like...

or people you don't like...

🤣

1645029938524.png

:mug:

spike each glass with ...
your favorite liqueur, hop concentrates, fruit, spices etc.
use it as the base for a new future unique recipe.
I'd consider making it a gose (one of my favorite styles) Add maybe 40 gs of salt and a couple lemons worth of juice and it a margarita. :mug:

Back