Fixing a watery beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
Hey guys, so in my first attempt at BIAB full mash my temp was a bit low due to some inaccurate thermometer readings, I mashed about 4 degrees below ideal. This led to a very fermentable wort and a saison with a thinner mouthfeel.

It is kegged and carbonated. Any way to boost it up a bit? Maybe some maltodextrine and a quick light stir? I'm not worried about maltodextrine infecting my beer, that stuff is pretty dry I don't think much could really be living on it, plus the cold co2 environment, etc.

At this point, I'd let it go and learn from it.

If you insist on tinkering, maybe add some dry hops to give it something extra to hold onto.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am in the live and learn camp. Mix it by-the-glass (black and tan?) with a more robust beer and call it a lesson learned.

Dry hopping with a fruity or spicy hops (or making a hop tea) might add to the Saison quite nicely. If adding maltodextrin I would still boil it in water to avoid anything that may have settled on it.
As you've already kegged it if i was in your position I wouldn't do any more, but then it depends on how much you really want it to be different! If it is only watery in mouthfeel and not in flavour then it could be a refreshing beer that'd be good for sharing.

If it is not already there, you could take it to a higher carbonation level for a sense of mouthfeel (I know it's not the same but it would have more of a bite to it). The Saisons I had in France poured a glass of half bubbles before I corrected my pour!

I don't know anything about kegging but i'd like to ask if there is any disadvantage to carbonating a beer, and then losing pressure (say as you add something to it) and then carbonating again. I'm thinking loss of head forming properties during the depressurisation, and increased levels of carbonic acid in the final beer, but I can't say that these would be significant or even noticable. Would be good to hear from someone more experienced in the matter.

If it was me (and I have had my share of bad batches) I'd drink it as is. I find that in this hobby I learn far more from mistakes than I do from triumphs. Get a new thermometer, and start thinking about that next recipe.

Add half a pound of maltodextrin. Did the trick for me and the BJCP judges who were kind enough to give me 42.5 points for it.

Hey guys, so in my first attempt at BIAB full mash my temp was a bit low due to some inaccurate thermometer readings, I mashed about 4 degrees below ideal. This led to a very fermentable wort and a saison with a thinner mouthfeel.

It is kegged and carbonated. Any way to boost it up a bit? Maybe some maltodextrine and a quick light stir? I'm not worried about maltodextrine infecting my beer, that stuff is pretty dry I don't think much could really be living on it, plus the cold co2 environment, etc.

Hello, depending on how long its been on the co2 will also have a lot to do with how much mouthfeel it has.

I have found that my beers start to get quite a bit more mouthfeel at about 14 to 20 days on the gas, 20 days and after they are much better, I am carbing at 9 psi and at that pressor it dose take 10 to 14 days to carb up and loose the co2 bite/flavor in the beer.

Hope this helps !

Cheers :mug:

It is carbed to about 3.5 volumes. Carb is done. I appreciate the input on the malto. If it isn't where I want it to be in a week or so when the yeast finally drops out and the beer is no longer "green", I will give it a try. I have two full kegs of this so I have room to experiment.

It is carbed to about 3.5 volumes. Carb is done. I appreciate the input on the malto. If it isn't where I want it to be in a week or so when the yeast finally drops out and the beer is no longer "green", I will give it a try. I have two full kegs of this so I have room to experiment.

Hello, ok you are kegging and carbing and drinking green beer? doing this it will always be watery and without mouthfeel.

The volumes of co2 isn't the problem, the time on the gas is.

If you want your beers to have mouthfeel, you really need to let them finish before putting them on the gas, then give them time on the gas like stated before.

After reading your last post, I think your low mash temp is the least part of your lack of mouthfeel problem.

How about you give us more detail on your time frames, how long in each, primary, secondary if used, keg aging, on gas.

Cheers :mug:

Oh it is plenty finished. It hit terminal gravity at 8 days, I kegged it at 12. Has been on gas for about a week now. Saison yeast takes a long time to come together in my experience.

I say "green" for this reason. The beer is very very yeasty, and will remain so for another week I'd imagine given my prior experience with 3711.

Oh it is plenty finished. It hit terminal gravity at 8 days, I kegged it at 12. Has been on gas for about a week now. Saison yeast takes a long time to come together in my experience.

I say "green" for this reason. The beer is very very yeasty, and will remain so for another week I'd imagine given my prior experience with 3711.

It is not finished. it is GREEN young beer. its not even 20 days old.:smack:

Why would you ask for help if you don't want it? :smack:

Bye. I done waisting my time.

It is not finished. it is GREEN young beer. its not even 20 days old.:smack:

Why would you ask for help if you don't want it? :smack:

Bye. I done waisting my time.

That's weird you say that when a lot of the brewers to follow, such as Bertus, are pretty consistently doing grain to glass in ten days or less on bigger beers than this, and yes, even with saisons.

freeze concentrating your watery beer may help. I'm doing that now with a my first, failed, attempt at biab.

That's weird you say that when a lot of the brewers to follow, such as Bertus, are pretty consistently doing grain to glass in ten days or less on bigger beers than this, and yes, even with saisons.

I really hope You get the fact! that you are talking about two completely different things, you were asking about fixing a watery lack of mouthfeel beer,
and a properly prepare recipe prepared by a "brewer to follow", mashed at the right temp, has the proper amount of yeast pitched in it and fermented at the proper temp, to turn from grain to glass in 10 days, are two completely different things, saison or otherwise.

See Ya !

Back