"fixing" a dark graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I made a 1 gal dark graff with Heather tips and mugwort to balance the sweetness of lots of dark malt. SG of 1.070. Its been in the primary 1 month now.

But the result has too much of the gruuit taste. I know it will fade some with age. But I am thinking about pulling off a qt and replace it with apple juice and FAJC mixed to the same SG.

Do you think the fermentation would restart and the blending would mellow the taste some? Or should I just bottle it and let it sit for a few months? I was hoping to drink it sooner than that, but I am looking for advice.

Fermentation will definitely re-start. I would go that path, as opposed to waiting for the "gruit" flavor to fade. That may not happen, while with dilution, you know you will get a reduction in the presence of the herbs. I wonder if a 25 % dilution is enough?

I made a 1 gal dark graff with Heather tips and mugwort to balance the sweetness of lots of dark malt. SG of 1.070. Its been in the primary 1 month now.

But the result has too much of the gruuit taste. I know it will fade some with age. But I am thinking about pulling off a qt and replace it with apple juice and FAJC mixed to the same SG.

Do you think the fermentation would restart and the blending would mellow the taste some? Or should I just bottle it and let it sit for a few months? I was hoping to drink it sooner than that, but I am looking for advice.
Mugwort will partially fade but a big portion of it will remain, I got some 3 year + old herbal sours here and there is still plenty of the herbal taste left.

If it's too much, dilute it with something fermentable and taste again when it's done fermenting.

I'd experiment with it. Bottle some now, come back to it later and see what happens.
Use your apple juice idea with the rest of it.
Another route it to just leave it alone and "blend in the glass" with some hard cider.

Its just a 1 gal batch, so I can't go more than one route with it. I think I am going to add 1 qt of new fermentables and see how that goes. I will keep you informed.

Back