Fixed JSP Malt Mill for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerlinWerks

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm getting back to brewing after a very long lay-off. I'm in the process of gathering the equipment I need to set up a BIAB/induction system. From my previous brewery I have a standard, non-adjustable JSP Malt Mill with a fixed gap of .045". Does anyone know or care to speculate if I can get a good crush for BIAB by double milling with this mill or should I be looking at picking up an adjustable mill. If it's the latter I'll probably be looking at either the Cereal Killer or MM 2 V2.0, any thoughts on those are welcome to.

Thanks

Mentioning Cereal Killer and MM2 v2.0 in the same sentence is weird.

I've heard many people swear by their JSP, finding the fixed gap to be ideal or no problem. .045" is a bit wide IMO, particularly for BIAB. I use an MM2 (1.5" rollers) at .030-.034" depending on the grain. I actually like to crush wheat at .028" and rye at .024", separately from the barley malts.

Is there a simple way to just narrow the gap to .034 and be done? Maybe a shim or so?

Welcome back - you should be all set sticking with your JSP, unless you have a craving to upgrade. I have been using my JSP for almost 20 years and it hasn't skipped a beat. A single crush is good enough to get high 70's efficiency for my fly sparge setup.

Mentioning Cereal Killer and MM2 v2.0 in the same sentence is weird.

I would agree :D

But I'm also trying to figure out how and why the MM would be worth an additional $130 over the CK for me. In general, I don't mind spending the money if there is a clear benefit.

Is there a simple way to just narrow the gap to .034 and be done? Maybe a shim or so?

I don't think this is possible, but I'll take a closer look.

Welcome back

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.

I have been using my JSP for almost 20 years and it hasn't skipped a beat. A single crush is good enough to get high 70's efficiency for my fly sparge setup.

To be clear, you're doing a fly sparge with a BIAB mash?

Hey All,

I'm getting back to brewing after a very long lay-off. I'm in the process of gathering the equipment I need to set up a BIAB/induction system. From my previous brewery I have a standard, non-adjustable JSP Malt Mill with a fixed gap of .045". Does anyone know or care to speculate if I can get a good crush for BIAB by double milling with this mill or should I be looking at picking up an adjustable mill. If it's the latter I'll probably be looking at either the Cereal Killer or MM 2 V2.0, any thoughts on those are welcome to.

Thanks

Ok, I'll speculate....

You will likely get below 70 % with a single crush and 80-85% with a double crush.

I would not seek a replacement, but would try a double crush for BIAB with that mill. Do you plan on full volume mash with no sparge, or a sparge of sorts could help.

I think my LHBS used that mill years ago, and it id a pretty coarse crush, with lots of kernal just cracked and not really broken.

I don't think it would be that easy to make that mill gap adjustable, perhaps adding eccentric bearings, but likely a job for a very handy machine shop type of bloke....
"run what you brung....", or simply put, make what you have work....
cheers!

I think IslandLizard was suggesting to see if there was an easy way to narrow the fixed gap a bit rather than trying to make it fully adjustable.

As you suggest, I should probably give it a go and see where I end up. The recent thread about how tight people run their mills made me question whether .045" was going to be tight enough, even with a double crush.

My intent was to start with full volume BIAB since that appears to maximize the simplicity that BIAB is known for.

BTW, there will be a new order coming your way once the new brew kettle arrives, BC 1316 64qt Tri-Ply.

You could also purchase an adjustable JSP mill for a lower or competitive price to the MM or Cereal Killer.

If your looking for a low cost alternative, you could check out a Corona Mill.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh

Thanks

I did email Jack and the parts to convert a"P" to a "AA" would be about $75 delivered. So I'm going to start with double-crushing with the "P" and see where that gets me. If that doesn't work out I'll probably sell the "P" and buy a barebones "AA". I did check and my mill is around .045", maybe a slightly tighter.

Back