Fix this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
Here's my first BAD beer. I decided to make up something with some stuff I had and had not used much of before. For many years I've also just taken someone's recipe and tinkered with it. This time I started from scratch and I blew it.
It's thin. Grassy aroma. Poor head retention.....still better than BMC but it tastes like something from those chain brew pubs like Gordon Biersch.....blecchh. Any ideas of what I could have done to improve it?

I had trouble chilling wort using a 20 plate chiller but still, that's the only problem other than the disappointing taste. I has a lovely color though...:eek:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.06 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs 10.9 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 29.61 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Malteruop 2 Row Barley (1.8 SRM) Grain 28.16 %
3 lbs 4.0 oz CaraRed (20.0 SRM) Grain 26.15 %
2 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.09 %
28.35 gm Chinook [10.10 %] (90 min) Hops 36.2 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 gm Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle US56 (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 12.43 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.54 qt of water at 168.6 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.70 qt of water at 197.8 F 168.0 F

You used A LOT of crystal...nearly fifty percent....bleh I don't blame you for not liking it. What were you shooting for?

WOW- 3.25 pounds carared and 2 pounds carafoam. If that's not a mistake and you meant .325 pound carared and .2 pounds carafoam, I think we've found your problem!

The baking soda in the mash can cause flavor issues also. What was the rest of the water profile?

What's Malteruop? I never heard of it.

I agree, your specialty grain to base grain ratio is way off.

Most 5 gallon batches MIGHT have a pound or two of specialty grains to roughly 8-9 lbs of base grain for an average sized beer.

The hops could be contributing to the grassy profile, they have a grassy/piney flavor and aroma.

After I made it I thought that was too much crystal...don't really know what I was thinking and wasn't sure that was the case. I guess I thought the carared would give color and didn't pay attention to my percentages...thanks for confirming my suspicions

Water profile was modified using Brunwater....it's not atypical for my water...I use a lot of distilled because of it.

Malteruop is a US 2 row.. you can google it and find it

malteurop is pale malt 2-row. it's a cheaper brand, but it's what i use. just got 2 50 lb bags @$30 each. i've used 5-6 bags of it so far, and get 80% efficiency out of it

im amazed that it has poor head retention with that much crystal. woulda thought it'd be standing for days.

im amazed that it has poor head retention with that much crystal. woulda thought it'd be standing for days.

Yeah, me too...:eek: It didn't finish quite where anticipated but was close enough...I've had others finish "farther" away and still be good.
Debating whether to pitch it or give it to some Lite drinkers who would probably like it:D since it has the mouthfeel of water.

Beyond all the issues mentioned, it seems you only have a bittering hop addition. If you want to try and make it drinkable and it is in a keg, add a lot of dry hops.

Back