Fix my hops schedule!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downhillfromhere

Reaction score
I'm coming up with a Recipe for my house Pale Ale. I'm pretty set on the Malt Bill, but I'm having some difficulty dialing in my Hop Schedule and I'm looking for some constructive criticism. I'm looking to really give this beer a rounded hop depth with a citrus kick to it!

5Gal Batch
OG Estimated 1.052
FG Estimated 1.012 (it's going to finish lower than that!)
60min Boil
Wyeast 1056

8lbs Organic Pale 2 Row
1.25lbs Vienne
.5 lbs Honey malt
.25lbs Carapils

Hops!

.5oz Cascade 5.5% @ First Wort
.3oz Columbus 14% @ 60min
.4oz Simcoe 13% @ 30min
.4oz Amarillo 10% @ 15min
1oz Cascade 5.5% @0min

no, i haven't brewed it yet. It's on deck for this weekend. I just wanted opinions if it was going to be lacking or overpowering in any one area

ah cool. If it were me, I'd ditch the fwh cascade addition. I think the columbus and simcoe will cover it up. I would bump the 0 min addition to at least double, if not more. I'd dry hop with amarillo and cascade.

Looks like it could be great. The best way to tweak a recipe is to try it, then tweak based on your own tasting notes!!

EDIT: I have had good results using Columbus hops as bittering AND late additions combined with cascade and amarillo. I think that the recipe is fundamentally good

I might sub Simcoe for Cascade in the 1st wort then. The thought was I'd use Cascade and have a larger volume of hops in the 1st wort to really get some oil extraction, maybe that's all way to theoretical though, lol

It's more hop additions than I usually like, but I think it looks good. I would only bump up the simcoe and Amarillo to.5oz. Just a few more ibus for that extra punch.

If you want an alternate hop schedule, I would keep everything the same except move the Amarillo to KO along with the cascades. So FWH, 60, 30, KO. That's my normal hop schedule.

Back