Five Weeks Until Serving For A Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenners

Reaction score
So my work has decided to run a homebrewing competition as there's a fair number of brewers among us & an even bigger number of beer drinkers. They've still to post /all/ the rules & competition details but we do now that judging will be in five to six weeks in all likelihood. That doesn't give me much time...

I'm going to be brewing under the assumption that I can serve the judges via keg or growler. Bottles just doesn't give people much time at all.

I'm leaning to re-brewing one of my favourite recipes - either a dark IPA (nicknamed Vader's Lament) or a coffee stout that was a huge hit at a party last Christmas, but I worry about turn around time for both. As a back up, I've got an easy berry wheat recipe (inspired by HBT) that rocks...

I don't want an overly complicated, overly fussy tasting beer... But I want something that isn't just a basic bitter either as it won't suit the likely audience. I'd love some ideas/feedback on a *great* beer than can be brewed & served in five weeks...

I'm all-grain, using brew in a bag, and I have a solid temperature controlled fermentation chamber - no lagers though.

Do you keg? I don't think I have a beer that I'm not drinking before it's 5 weeks old, but maybe a Belgian tripel would be better with some age. With 5-6 weeks lead time, I think you can make any beer you'd like.

The beer I'm drinking now (at this moment) was brewed on August 5, and the keg is almost gone.

Yeah, I keg. Waiting on clarification on whether we can serve in kegs/growlers or if they expect bottles.

I think my question is more "If you had five weeks to make a not-too complicated tasting beer for a competition, what would you make?"

Back