Fist Bump / Cry Havoc WLP1983

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
I mentioned in another post I have almost been exclusively using a w-strain for my yeast, but I guess I’m getting adventurous as I will be trying L28 Urkel for the first time soon.

Another yeast I have been curious about for a long time is Charlie’s yeast Wlp1983 Cry Havoc / Fist Bump. Have you used it and what are your thoughts? I’m thinking about using this in a Czech lager after my Urkel experiment. Any advice?

W-strain? You mean the Fermentis wine yeasts?

Are we talking about beer or wine for this and the other yeasts you mention. Typically the yeast is choosen for beer based on what the beer type and style is going to be and for any flavor notes that yeast may or may not impart. Also the attenuation and alcohol tolerance is considered so as to know if the harder to ferment complex sugars will or won't be fermented to some extent.

Wines will be another subforum here. But I thought most wine yeast fermented pretty much any sugar. But that's from someone that has never made wine.

Gotcha! Sorry for the confusion w = Weihenstephan strain. 34/70, cellar science, German and a few others in liquid from wyeast & white labs.

I'd actually recommend giving Omega German Lager 1 DKO a shot. That yeast is awesome! Outside of that Charlies fist bump is a strain I've been meaning to come back to. I used it in cream of three crops once before and got a certain spiciness that was less than desireable. I'd like to try the strain under pressure on another cream ale to see how it does. The quick history is it was cultured up from a 1970's era keg of Budweiser.

Outside of that wlp802 is really good too! I have yet to use WLP800 but have some banked up. It's on the to do list though :) I'm currently going through the Pilsner section of the BYO clone recipes book so I've been serially repitching the Weinstephan strain. Eventually the Pilsner Urquell recipe will come up though.

I'd actually recommend giving Omega German Lager 1 DKO a shot. That yeast is awesome! Outside of that Charlies fist bump is a strain I've been meaning to come back to. I used it in cream of three crops once before and got a certain spiciness that was less than desireable. I'd like to try the strain under pressure on another cream ale to see how it does. The quick history is it was cultured up from a 1970's era keg of Budweiser.

Outside of that wlp802 is really good too! I have yet to use WLP800 but have some banked up. It's on the to do list though :) I'm currently going through the Pilsner section of the BYO clone recipes book so I've been serially repitching the Weinstephan strain. Eventually the Pilsner Urquell recipe will come up though.
Thanks I will check that out one day. I started brewing in the mid to late 2000s and started with extracts and CP’s The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing then shortly after went to all grain. I alway saw Cry Havoc listed in the recipes which is now Charlie’s fist bump 1983 but never tried it for whatever reason. I think I got to the Cry Havoc / Fist Bump at least once. Who knows it might be my next new favorite.

I recall hearing about the Budweiser kegs story and how this yeast supposedly cultured from it sound possible, I guess. I guess I thought all Anheuser Bush products came in the same Kegs with Anheuser Busch imprinted on them with only removable labeling indicating product so they could be repurposed after being returned to Anheuser not just specific fo Budweiser.

I read an article how Michelob was originally only available in on draft no bottles. It was an attempt at creating a state side premium Czech lager with no adjunct. If we are speculating and guessing then maybe this is the original Michelob strain. I will attach the article if I can find it about the early version of michelob.

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/Brewing_Original_Michelob_Recipe

Last edited:
I guess I’m shocked this yeast strain that is practically in the Homebrew hall of fame isn’t more galvanizing 😊. I figured I would have gotten a little more opinions on this one from current or past users.

Back