First wort hoping and Dry hoping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
What would be the point of dry hoping over first wort hoping? with everything I have read, it seems like you get the same result. In my brewing software it doesn't seem to add to the bitterness that much. Can someone shed some light on this topic for me?

What would be the point of dry hoping over first wort hoping? with everything I have read, it seems like you get the same result. In my brewing software it doesn't seem to add to the bitterness that much. Can someone shed some light on this topic for me?

FWH is nothing at all like the results from dryhopping. With FWH, you get bitterness but it's purported to be a smoother bitterness, but very little hops flavor or aroma.

With dryhopping, it's all about hops aroma. It adds a totally different thing to the beer.

Fwiw I typically do both... But then again I start out all the way back at making the recipe, and then keep going until it's in the glass. Even if I've brewed the recipe before, the whole process is full of hoping for me.

FWH is nothing at all like the results from dryhopping. With FWH, you get bitterness but it's purported to be a smoother bitterness, but very little hops flavor or aroma.

With dryhopping, it's all about hops aroma. It adds a totally different thing to the beer.

Completely agree. They are pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as results go. FWH is just a different method of adding your bittering addition. Some brewing software treats the FWH IBU contribution as a 20 minute addition because of the "smoother" bitterness it's supposed to impart, but I don't think the effect is that drastic. I would still list it as a 60 minute addition if you want to calculate IBUs with your software.

Fwiw I typically do both... But then again I start out all the way back at making the recipe, and then keep going until it's in the glass. Even if I've brewed the recipe before, the whole process is full of hoping for me.

Haaaaaa, I see what you did there. :mug:

I'm just going to make a couple SMaSH brews to taste the difference

Back