First wine brew issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodaleBrewing

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the home brew scene and decided to try out brazedowls concentrate wine recipe for a first go. I made a 1 gallon batch with 1 concentrate container of apple and one white grape. I also added some nutrient to the batch and used champagne yeast. The batch roared along and ended around a month and a week so I transferred most of it to a new container and let it set a few more weeks before bottling it. We have tried it now a few times and it is very yeastie. Will that go away with age or did i do something wrong? its got a great flavor and still drinkable but the yeast flavor is strong.

EDIT: I forgot to add that it ended at around 14%-15%. I wasnt for sure since i broke my hydrometer and got a different one

The wine is still very young, you can try to add an 1/4 -1/2 ounce oak cubes/beans to add a layer of complexity and cover the yeast up a bit, but this wine needs to age.

Because you have already bottle it, there is not much that you can do with the wine now. The yeasty taste most likely comes from not allowing the wine to rest in secondary for long enough for the yeast to settle out. For your next batch, I would let it sit in secondary for a month or more,then cold crash it, and make that the only variation from this batch. I would hazard a guess it will be a lot less 'yeasty'.

Hope that helps!
:)

Thanks for the reply. Ok I wondered if it was that. How long should it set before It will taste better?

EDIT: I didn't see your post William before I posted. I let it set for about a month and it was clear when i bottled it and is still clear now. I will give it a shot though and see how it does. How long would you let it set next time in secondary?

When I have made wine I always allow it to sit in the carboy for 3 months before I do anything with it. But the recipe I use I got from my grandpa and he has been making it for 40 years. So he had the procedure pretty much down when he explained it to me.

Ok sounds good I will try letting it set for at least that long next time and see how it goes. Thanks again

Also, if after letting it sit that long, check if you see any lees/sediment on the bottom still. If you do, rack it again, and let it sit for another month.

Back