First wine attempt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62belair

Reaction score
I just made my first attempt at fermenting any kind of fruit. Since nothing is in season at the moment I used a gallon of Organic apple juice from Earthfare, red star champagne yeast, tannin, and added some sugar to get around 1.090. Since this was just a test I didn't have the patience to age anything, just racked a few times to clear it up then added some gelatin and...
Wow! This stuff turned out great! I don't have a expert palate but it tastes exactly like Pinot grigio to me which happens to be one of the only whites that I care for. For around $6.50 per gallon I think I'm gonna have to make a larger batch of this stuff.

That's roughly the same recipe I used, I have an old book a coworker gave me "Winemaking as a Hobby" and just did that recipe with the ingredients that I had in hand. I was just surprised how much like a Pinot Gris it resembles

I have a couple of very simple (but tasty) wines posted if you're interested. One is apple wine (just like you did but with some acid blend and tannin) and another uses Welch's juices. I love making small batches of wine. I have one now that used mostly grape juice, but also has a can of frozen pomegranate/grape juice in it. You can use any kind of juice. Apple/peach is good.

62, I am in the Asheville area too; just picked up a gallon of organic apple juice at Earthfare today thinking it would make a nice cider. At $7.50 on sale it seemed worth saving the labor (we have made some cider from scratch, but our juicer is sub par). I have been brewing beer for 10 years, and making mead for over a year now... branching out since the wife had to go gluten free. :)
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back