First use of liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weconway

Reaction score
My previous 3 batches (Stout, IPA, Brown Ale) have all been fermented using Nottingham dry yeast . For my latest batch (Oktoberfest), I got a smack pack of Wyeast Octoberfest lager yeast.

I made a yeast starter before brewing, and come brew day I poured out about half of the fermented starter into a glass. I didn't want to alter the recipe by adding 1.3L of fermented starter.

Well I decided to try the fermented starter and WOW!!! Even though I only used extra light DME, the resulting brew was delicious. Way more character than the "green" beer I've tasted from previous batches.

I know that yeast makes a big difference, but I'm totally surprised at how much it made in this case. I'm getting pretty excited about #4!

William

I have always thought of tasting the starter but never did. Glad to hear it tasted good. You should try a hefeweizen this spring. The yeast influence will knock your socks off.

I did this with White Lab's German Bock yeast, a pretty similar yeast to that one. I'm aging the starter in a 1-gal. jug, it was that good. Something about these lower-attenuating lager yeasts makes them make passably tasty starters.

I did use wheat DME, though, as it was all I had. Bonus wheat bock!

Also, the Trappist Ale yeast made a starter that smelled like La Fin du Monde. Pretty dry, though.

I have always thought of tasting the starter but never did.

Maybe I'm just a noob, but I taste everything. Post boil wort, uncarbonated beer ready for bottling, yeast starters, etc. I figure it's all a learning experience and if nothing else, it will help me develop my taste buds.

William

Maybe I'm just a noob, but I taste everything. Post boil wort, uncarbonated beer ready for bottling, yeast starters, etc. I figure it's all a learning experience and if nothing else, it will help me develop my taste buds.

William

I hope you dont taste the sanitizer

Latest posts

Back