First try Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humpadilo

Reaction score
So I wanted to try my hand at making a sour beer. I was at my buddies house (Saturdsay)while he was making an Amber. he was done with his grains and I thought "What the hell" might as well go for it. I took the grains and put them in a fermenting bucket. I added water in a 1# to 1.25qt ratio. It was 10# (dry) grains and I rounded to 3-4 gallons of water. (I didn't write down specifics because I didn't expect much to happen my first try.). I threw in a handful of crushed grains that have not been mashed. I then flooded the head space with CO2 and covered with plastic wrap.
I then took it home and gave it more CO2 and covered with a lid and airlock. I put it in a 120 degree water bath and put it in my warmest closet. It stayed pretty hot because I had some insulation and warmed it with a heating pad. But the next day (Sunday) it dropped to low 100s. I took a peek and I could see some bubbles inside the fermenter, so I knew it was doing something. Then over the next two days the temp kept dropping until Tuesday it was around 80. I took a look last night it had a pretty white film over it.

I wanted to check the gravity but didn't want to take a big sample with my hydrometer. So I used my refractometer and it was 1.016. I know it isn't real accurate because it has some alcohol in it, but I figured it would give a good reference for later. The original wort was 1.036 if that matters. Again I didn't expect good results so I didn't take notes.

I am going to take a look at it under a microscope tonight. I am going to swab it and give to my wife so she can culture at her work, but I am pretty confident I got Lacto. That was what I was going for anyway.

My question is I have several different ways I can go now. Should I make a beer just out of that wort and get about 2 gallons? Should I add this wort to mash/boil to sour a regular beer? ETC. What do you guys think. I will taste it when I get home tonight to see how sour it is. It will probably depend on how it tastes. Here is the wort when I looked at it last night.

sour beer.jpg

In not really sure what you are looking for, so I'm not sure how to advise. You are doing what some people do to make a Berliner weisse. However your grain bill doesn't fit that. Most sours use other bacteria (brett and pedio) and those take a year to get those good complex flavors and funkiness, the way your doing it will get you a quick sour beer though, just one dimensional, but that's not always a bad thing

Thanks for the reply. That does actually help. I guess I need to read up on Berliner Weisse. I just wasn't sure on the best way to use it. After talking to some people I think I want to make a stout, and just use the sour as part of the boil to make a sour stout. That sounds really tasty to me.

Any reason why I shouldn't do this? I plan on making it this weekend.

No reason you shouldn't do anything to try it! Unless someone can tell you from experience not to. But that wort should keep souring. What most people do for a berlliner is let it sour for 2-3 days then do a short boil or heat it up to kill the bacteria. You don't want to keep souring it. Then they blend it into a beer.

At least that's one way.

That's exactly what i was planning on doing. I am out of town until Saturday but it is staying pretty cool until then. It stays between 65-80. I guess thats cool for Lacto.

Back