First try Ginger Cider- left some skin on, bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pewkins

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been a long time lurker to Homebrewtalk as normally I make liqueurs, but I finally decided to make an account and do my first active cider.

So what I have going is a ginger cider with mostly peeled ginger minus some of the joints. I left a bit, thinking that it wouldn't be a big deal, but now in hindsight after remembering that peels and seeds often lead to methanol in distilling, I'm beginning to get a little antsy about my decision not to clean the ginger completely bare.

Anyone with any experience with ciders, is leaving a very sm amount of the skin on a bad idea, or is it just me over analyzing everything and getting spooked (like I always do)?

Disclaimer: I've only used pickled ginger in some of my ciders....

But my guess is you should be just fine!

After all cider is made with bits & pieces of apples & skins all the time. Wine is made with the grape skins.

Welcome to HBT & Cheers [emoji111]

Ah very cool! I decided to not use any yeast and do the fermentation with just what was on the ginger, so it's not going crazy but my bubbler valve is bubbling maybe once every 10-15 seconds.

Might try yeast next time, but this is just a first time fun run. I've only ever aged liqueurs before so I kind of wanted to take it slow and not explode a carboy top in my apartment haha.

Thank you for the advice, I'm already excited to see how it will turn out!

Back