First try at draft bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
My first keg was running low and I needed the gas line for my second keg. In addition, the batch from my first keg was good, but not great. And, there was only a gallon left. So, I decided to try my hand at draft bottling.

I attached my 3/8" vinyl tubing to the end of the picnic tap (fit perfectly snug). Then, attached the other end to my bottling wand. I began filling my sanitized bottles, which took some experimenting in reducing gas pressure and holding the bottle at a height that reduced foaminess. I let it fill up and foam over pretty good and set it aside with the cap sitting on top. When I finished them all, I took each one and quickly jolted them to the side and back upright, enough to cause some excitement and more foam. I let just a bit of foam overflow, put the cap back on and quickly capped it on tight. The foam should have expunged any oxygen that may have been in there.

The beer was pretty cold to begin with, so hopefully it was carbed enough to stay in suspension. And hopefully all oxygen was removed when I capped. Anyone see anything wrong with my procedure?

Sounds fine to me. The only thing I'd suggest is you keep your beers in the fridge. Yeast are resilient buggers and unless you've left your beer sit in the carboy/bucket for months....after a while, once your bottles warm up, you will have sediment in them. I've kept beers in the fridge that I bottled off the keggerator for months with great results.

Back