First true homebrew beer made... WOW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanity1676

Reaction score
this is my first Beer beer, not ginger beer, not skeeter pee, not apfelwein, forgive my excitement, this is awesome. I made a muntons beer kit mexican creveza with an addition of a can of extra light lme, and an oz of cascade hops and a little pinch of irish moss. Wow, it was the best beer ive ever had, like becks sapphire (my favorite) but better! the body is incredible, and everything, the hop bite is surreal, crisp and fresh i made 5 gallons with the kit intended for six gallons , i think the og was at 1.054 and i dont know about alcohol percentage, this beer is GREAT. im so happy. i just tasted a hydro sample. :ban: done being a big cider guy, done making graf and planning alcoholic rootbeer, homebrew beer is incredible. i may brew another 5 gallons on my off day! what is an estimaited final gravity? if og was 1.054 in 5 gallons with 1 can extra light lme, 1 can muntons mexican creveza?

Congrads! You know your final gravity by chance?

its not done yet, its dryed a bit, but it has slow bubbles, its only been two days at 68 degrees ambient and the wort must 70 something, it took off way fast though.

OP a good rule of thumb for beers is "75%" meaning most ferments of malts with most yeasts go 75% of the og to fg... so 1.054 gets you about a 1.013fg
Some yeast would do 80% some will only do 60% but 75% is typical and a good guess for both the "what can I expect" and a "what did I get".

Also you could take one of your beers, open it, pour it in a testing vessel, float the hydrometer. There might be a problem with carbonation 'lifting' your hydrometer. plus, a typical test vessel takes 4oz, or 1/3rd of a beer

OP, it's all over now your hooked!
Anyway congrats on you first Homebrew beer! It's the first of many (or so it sounds)

I'm presuming you pulled a hydrometer sample because it's still fermenting, meaning you haven't bottled/kegged it yet?

you think it tastes good now? it ain't done yet! you still need to package, carbonate, condition and chill.

it's not even near as good as it's going to be :mug:

yeah, i already have too much homebrew wines, spir#*$ and beer on tap to drink. guess ive gotta throw that huge boat party, so i can have an excuse to brew more. this is total boat beer. i love the community here. the nose on this beer needs work.

Back