First-Timer Here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWM777

Reaction score
Hello to all! I'm a new HBT member, and just finished my first batch of the Brewer's Best Weizenbier beer kit. Although perhaps a lofty goal, my intent is to shoot for a Weiheinstephan Hefeweizen clone. As such, I chose to use a liquid yeast (Hefeweizen Ale Yeast) vs. the included yeast, at the recommendation of my local HB shop owner. Has anyone brewed a batch using this kit/liquid yeast combo?

Another quick sidebar question: It's been roughly 16 hours since I pitched the yeast and aerated. I've seen zero bubbles as of yet. Should this be cause for concern? Additionally, how long would you recommend leaving in the primary before I prime and bottle?

Thanks to all who offer input. Glad to be here. Prost!

It can take up to 72 hours before visible fermentation begins. Then 2-3 weeks on average before it finishes fermenting & settles out clear or slightly misty. For a wheat beer,it'll be quite misty,as they should look.

Hello to all! I'm a new HBT member, and just finished my first batch of the Brewer's Best Weizenbier beer kit. Although perhaps a lofty goal, my intent is to shoot for a Weiheinstephan Hefeweizen clone. As such, I chose to use a liquid yeast (Hefeweizen Ale Yeast) vs. the included yeast, at the recommendation of my local HB shop owner. Has anyone brewed a batch using this kit/liquid yeast combo?

Another quick sidebar question: It's been roughly 16 hours since I pitched the yeast and aerated. I've seen zero bubbles as of yet. Should this be cause for concern? Additionally, how long would you recommend leaving in the primary before I prime and bottle?

Thanks to all who offer input. Glad to be here. Prost!

Welcome to the fun, anxiety, and enjoyment of home brewing.
Your HB person was wise to recommend the liquid yeast over the dry yeast included in the kit. What is the brand name of the kit?
Sixteen hours of lag time is nothing to worry about. Over 72 hours maybe.

How long you leave your brew in the primary depends upon when the yeast finish the fermentation and clean up. Stable hydrometer readings over a period of two to three days will indicate when fermentation is complete. The yeast will need another five days to a week to clean up the natural off flavors produced by fermentation.
Sort of the typical time in the primary is three to four weeks depending upon the estimated original gravity of the beer.

Main thing to watch for at the begining of fermentation is temperature of the wort. Fermentation produces heat. Have your fermentation set up ready to control the wort temperature. Optimum temperature is usually at the low end of the yeasts working range.

Thanks guys. Great information. To answer your question, the kit I used is the Brewer's Best Weizenbier ingredient kit. The yeast I used is from White Labs. (Hefeweizen Ale Yeast).

I agree that 16 hours is nothing to worry about as far a lag time, but you also can't judge fermentation by bubbles. Lots of fermenters don't seal well, and you never see bubbles. I darken the room and shine a flashlight down on the lid to see if there's any kraeusen.

For most beers, I ferment for 3 weeks - then bottle if gravity is stable. But for hefeweizen, I go for 2 weeks. Seems like hefeweizen is best very fresh.

Latest posts

Back