first time with this problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbrookie

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Russian Imperial Stout. I liked the taste of the gravity sample so much that I decided I needed to do it again.

So, after the first one had been sitting in the fermenter for 3 weeks, I bottled it in 22 oz bottles to age and condition until this fall.

I brewed up another batch on the same day that I bottled and pitched on top of the existing yeast cake. It's now been 36 hours and there's no activity in the airlock and no Krausen on top of the wort. The yeast is wlp001 so I expect that I'd see something on top well before now.

I went ahead and repitched the new batch, but that's not really why I'm concerned. I've got 6 gallons in bottles that I'm now afraid aren't going to carb. Am I just screwed at this point?

The bottles should carbonate. Did you use priming sugar? I believe 22 oz bottles take a little longer to carbonate then the high ABV of a RIS will also make it take longer. However, as for your new batch, I would re-pitch yeast. The yeast may have been stressed and just not able to start up right away. You could wait if you want but I would just pitch new yeast. I've never racked new wort over a yeast cake though.

I've racked onto old yeast cakes before, but usually it's been a new big beer onto an old 4%-5% yeast cake. This time, the 10% beer sat on the cake for 3 weeks and I racked a new 10% beer onto it.

I recently brewed a Russian Imperial Stout. I liked the taste of the gravity sample so much that I decided I needed to do it again.

So, after the first one had been sitting in the fermenter for 3 weeks, I bottled it in 22 oz bottles to age and condition until this fall.

I brewed up another batch on the same day that I bottled and pitched on top of the existing yeast cake. It's now been 36 hours and there's no activity in the airlock and no Krausen on top of the wort. The yeast is wlp001 so I expect that I'd see something on top well before now.

I went ahead and repitched the new batch, but that's not really why I'm concerned. I've got 6 gallons in bottles that I'm now afraid aren't going to carb. Am I just screwed at this point?

Hello did you take any Hydrometer readings on ether beer ?

If not you really need to make sure they are done.

Cheers :mug:

Back