First time...Want to help out a noob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbauer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first time making cider, and in fact it is my first time brewing anything at all. I just wanted to check in and make sure that what I have been doing is right and to make sure that what I have planned out is correct as well. Any advice would be appreciated!

I started with a 1 gallon carboy full of organic apple juice with no preservatives. I added 1/4 cup of dextrose and 1/4 a package of red star champagne yeast (this was recommended by my local home brew store). I then shook it up a bit, threw on an airlock, and let it go. Its a bit warm, 68-70 degrees, however thats the coolest place in my house so I guess it will have to do. I had some small bubbles around 4 hours and by 24 I was getting bubbles/pops in my airlock at a rate of about 1 every 10 seconds. Now (36 hours later) its going even faster than that.

I plan on leaving it in the carboy for 2-4 weeks. Hopefully as soon as the bubbles stop and the liquid clears up a little bit. Then I am going to cold crash (how long should I do this for?).

After that I was going to prime with 1/2 cup of water with 1 tbsp dextrose, 1 tbsp of brown sugar, and a little bit of cinnamon. Just heat that all up together and then once its boiling add it to the carboy and bottle straight into bottles. I was going to leave the bottles for a week or so to let them carb up and then throw them in the fridge.

Does this sound right? Am I missing anything? Is this going to be drinkable? Should I change anything or try anything different? I am really new to all of this and would appreciate any advice you can give me! Thanks!!!

Looks like you have thought it out thoroughly. I would let it sit at least 3 weeks to ferment out. Would be nice to get hydrometer, should finish around 1.0. Your priming measurements work out to about an ounce of sugar, which should be about right per gallon. If I let it ferment out, I never have cold crashed.

Keep in mind Dextrose is fermentable, so it will dry out. If you want a sweeter cider try using Splenda or Sucralose. Otherwise sounds great

Cheers

At this ment actually yesterday I started 6 gallons of apple cider. 6 gallons. 20 frozen concentrated apple juice, 5 tsp yeast nutrient, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 tsp bentonite (already slured yesterday), 71B-1122 Lalvin yeast. Thinking about oak chips hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can't really add your stuff to your primary fermentation vessel and bottle from there unless you plan on stirring up all your settled trub...

I haven't second racked yet.. I don't ever leave it all in their then bottle, I second rack after fermentation stops

Back