First Time Using My Keggle - Stained Inside Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Hello,

Pardon the noobish inquiry, but I used my keggle for the first time last weekend. It was spotless before, and now it has a sort of discolored stain on the bottom of the inside. Is this normal? I tried a soak with PBW for a few hours and scrubbed it with a washrag, but it wouldn't come off. Do I try something more like a Dobie pad? OR is this completely normal and I should stop worrying?

20151123_062551.jpg

Looks like mineral deposits. I would try star San. I also would recommend the don't worry about it approach. Unless you think it is some kind of chemical residue or something bad just leave it. I never use any kind of cleaner on my keggle. Just rinse it as soon as your done boiling, wipe it out with a sponge if needed and you're good. Your valves and tubes from the keggle may need a closer look, since it comes into contact with cool wort.

I'm not sure that I even see the stain that you're talking about. Since I'm boiling I don't worry about it too much, but when I do want to shine it up Bar Keepers Friend does a pretty good job.

It's the whiteish/blueish areas on the bottom. It wasn't there before I boiled with it. However, based on all your responses, it sounds like it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks everyone! :mug:

After 10-20 batches it will likely be 10-20 times worse, Bar Keepers Friend will clean it nice and shiny like new. Use the powdered version and scrub with a paste of the cleaner, rinse well.

Back