First time using liquid yeast (Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale); concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevBrewer

Reaction score
OK, noob time.

I recently posted pics of my efforts to make a dry stout:

[URL="https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/dry-stout-brew-day-my-new-megapot-1-2-some-experiments-aeration-437505/"/URL]

After the foam calmed down from agitation, and the lag phase passed, I have had little to no krausen on top of the beer. It's only been 5 days, but I'm starting to get concerned that even though there is some bubbling happening, yeast activity seems to have slowed down significantly.

I moved the carboy to a warmer room to raise the ambient temperature and the thermometer has consistently read 70 degrees F.

Should I just gut it out and wait to see what happens or are there other steps I should take to troubleshoot? Help, please!

After a few days at 70 check the gravity. Then check again after a few more. If they are the same you should be fine to bottle. With a good pitch rate I have seen a number of ales finish fermenting within 3-4 days, totally normal just means the yeast ran out of sugar.

After a few days at 70 check the gravity. Then check again after a few more. If they are the same you should be fine to bottle. With a good pitch rate I have seen a number of ales finish fermenting within 3-4 days, totally normal just means the yeast ran out of sugar.

Thanks, Riot. I took a reading today and the SG is 1.016. That makes my current ABV 4.2% For a dry stout that's not bad considering. I will take another reading in a few days and see where we stand.

I took a sip of the sample just for giggles and it's got a good flavor even without carbonation.

Cheers!

Back