First time using IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
Hey all,

I got a new copper IC for Christmas, and plan on using it for the first time today. I am just wondering what steps I should take to make sure it's clean before I throw it in my wort. The instruction sheet recommended a couple cleaners to get any residual oil off of it, but the hardware store said they didn't really have anything like that.

The coil doesn't really seem oily to me, but I do want to be sure it's good to go. What should I do to clean it beore using it? Thanks.

I don't remember cleaning mine much before the first use....maybe wipe down with some mild dish soap and give it a good rinse. Plop it in the boil with 15 minutes left to sterilize it and you should be good to go. If it has worm clamps on it, make sure they are nice and snug...nothing surprises you like a water line popping off of the thing while you are using it.

I'd wash it with dish soap and hot water and then boil it by itself for 15 minutes.

Thanks for the heads up on the clamps. This one fortunately doesn't even have any so no worries there. I guess I'll just go with a dish soap wipe down and then probably boil it for a bit on its own.

Back