First time usin Magnum hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
Im planning on brewing a belgian tripel(chimay'ish) next week. im gonna use pilsner and wheat malt and sugar. The quiestion i have is about hops.
Been readin on different forums about the chimay white/tripel and I wont use any aroma hops. Some people even say not to use flavor hops, just a single hop addition at 60 min for bittering.
I think ill go with bitter and flavor hops. Hallertau for flavor.

I found a bag of magnum that id like to try, but the AA is waaay higher than the hops i usually use saaz/styrian. The IBU went from 22 to 60 when exchanging saaz with magnum. I want an IBU at around 22-25 something. Does this mean I should only use 0.2 oz of bittering hops? sounds looooow to me

It depends on your boil gravity how much you should use. Easiest way is to plug your ingredients into one of the online recipe calculators and it will estimate the hop amounts required to achieve your desired ibus. I like to use the brewers friend recipe calculator for this.

I have a favorite Belgian Triple and it uses a single East Kent Goldings add @ 60 minutes. +1 on BrewersFriend, awesome app to calculate IBUs and other things.

Im planning on brewing a belgian tripel(chimay'ish) next week. im gonna use pilsner and wheat malt and sugar. The quiestion i have is about hops.
Been readin on different forums about the chimay white/tripel and I wont use any aroma hops. Some people even say not to use flavor hops, just a single hop addition at 60 min for bittering.
I think ill go with bitter and flavor hops. Hallertau for flavor.

I found a bag of magnum that id like to try, but the AA is waaay higher than the hops i usually use saaz/styrian. The IBU went from 22 to 60 when exchanging saaz with magnum. I want an IBU at around 22-25 something. Does this mean I should only use 0.2 oz of bittering hops? sounds looooow to me

Yes it does sound low, but it is probably right. A high alpha acid hop will give you way more bittering per ounce than the low alpha acid of Saaz.

Yes it does sound low, but it is probably right. A high alpha acid hop will give you way more bittering per ounce than the low alpha acid of Saaz.

Maybe I should keep it until im making a more bitter beer, I have bags with tettnanger, hallertauer, styrian and saaz already opened so maybe Ill just use one of them again. thanks!

It depends on your boil gravity how much you should use. Easiest way is to plug your ingredients into one of the online recipe calculators and it will estimate the hop amounts required to achieve your desired ibus. I like to use the brewers friend recipe calculator for this.
I get my numbers from brewersfriend already...

I have a favorite Belgian Triple and it uses a single East Kent Goldings add @ 60 minutes. +1 on BrewersFriend, awesome app to calculate IBUs and other things.

When only doing a single hop addition, should it be bigger than when for example doing three of them(as i usually do)?
for a 5 gal batch, is it enough with 1 oz of goldings?

I read; (Belgian Ale, by Rajotte) that there is a general feeling among brewers that high alpha hops give a harsher bitterness than lower alpha hops.
He recommends:
Hallertaur
Hersbrucker
Saaz
Styrian (be careful with this one. Recent crops have been VERY low alpha)
Tettnanger
Perle
Golding

I get my numbers from brewersfriend already...

When only doing a single hop addition, should it be bigger than when for example doing three of them(as i usually do)?
for a 5 gal batch, is it enough with 1 oz of goldings?

Yes - the one should be bigger if not doing three.
And - I think if you are trying to achieve a target bitterness you should find out the IBU of your target and work with an IBU calculator to determine how much hops.

I read; (Belgian Ale, by Rajotte) that there is a general feeling among brewers that high alpha hops give a harsher bitterness than lower alpha hops.
He recommends:
Hallertaur
Hersbrucker
Saaz
Styrian (be careful with this one. Recent crops have been VERY low alpha)
Tettnanger
Perle
Golding

so its probably nicer to use alot of low alpha hops for bittering instead of a pinch of high alpha hops. thanks!

I use Magnum to bitter pretty much all of my Belgian and German style brews, as well as many other styles. It's my go-to bittering hop due to its smoothness and the fact that it's a lot more economical to bitter with higher alpha hops than it is for lower alpha varieties.

It's easy to sub different AA% hops on the fly to yield the same IBUs...

Just multiply the qty x % of the original hops and divide by the % of the subbed hops.

Example: 1.25 oz of 5.5% hops subbed with a 14.7% hop would be 1.25 x 5.5 / 14.7 = .47 oz of the 14.7% hop (rounded to the nearest .01).

I use Magnum to bitter pretty much all of my Belgian and German style brews, as well as many other styles. It's my go-to bittering hop due to its smoothness and the fact that it's a lot more economical to bitter with higher alpha hops than it is for lower alpha varieties.

It's easy to sub different AA% hops on the fly to yield the same IBUs...

Just multiply the qty x % of the original hops and divide by the % of the subbed hops.

Example: 1.25 oz of 5.5% hops subbed with a 14.7% hop would be 1.25 x 5.5 / 14.7 = .47 oz of the 14.7% hop (rounded to the nearest .01).

Alot of different answers here, I guess Ill try the magnum, ill go with 0.35oz of magnum at 60 and 0.35oz hallertauer at 30 and skip the aroma hops..

Back