first time to brew and OG way high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadwrich

Reaction score
when I took my first reading before pitching yeast it was around 1.090. I know that is way too high. All I can think of is that when I topped it up I didn't mix it well enough and got a bit of the concentrated wort. It was supposed to start at 1.045. Or maybe because when I topped it up to what I thought was five gallons it was actually 4.5. The other half gallon actually just turned out to be foam. Would that have made the OG higher? I am guessing yes, but not that much higher. And if that reading was correct, could that be part of the reason the fermentation is so slow and weak? Can I pitch more yeast after it has already sat for a week? Would I need to do that if the gravity is still high?

Is it an extract? That's double the OG. Maybe it wasn't stirred when you took your hydrometer reading. I would re check it.

Yeah it's an extract and that is my guess as well. Would it be safe to open it now that it has been sitting for four days? Should I just wait until it has been a week? There doesn't seem to have been much activity.

Now that it's almost done fermenting, a reading isn't going to tell you much. You might as well leave it alone and check it in a few days.
If all looks good let is sit for a couple more weeks and you good to go!

Latest posts

Back