First time reusing yeast from fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckS1

Reaction score
So a couple of days ago I bottled 5.5 gallons of a pilsner that used WLP833 in a 3 liter starter. I used a muslin bag to contain the hop pellets, so all that was in the fermenter was the yeast and cold break. I also used gelatin to clear the beer and cold crashed it for 7 days prior to transfer to my bottling bucket. I swirled the trub and yeast that was at the bottom of my conical fermenter and got about 3 1/2 pints of slurry. After storing them in the refrigerator for a couple of days, I don't see a separation of the yeast and trub. Here are pics of what I have. I was expecting to see three layers (beer, yeast and trub). Instead, I just see two layers.

IMG_2083_zpstv2uyqua.jpg

A closeup shows no separation between the trub and yeast.
IMG_2084_zpsdthkbuuc.jpg

I was planning to reuse this yeast in an Octoberfest lager recipe later this week. I'm a little hesitant now, since I'm not sure I want to add all that trub back in. Am I worried about nothing? My gut instinct is to go out and buy more yeast. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

The color makes it look like you do have hop debris in the jars. Swirl each jar to see if there will be some separation.

As long as the fermentation was normal and the yeast was harvested the same day as racking you should have at least 1 billion yeast cells per milliliter.

It's perfectly safe to use as-is, so don't worry about the lack of separation. Dump one of those fuller jars into your Oktoberfest and call it good.

So a couple of days ago I bottled 5.5 gallons of a pilsner that used WLP833 in a 3 liter starter. I used a muslin bag to contain the hop pellets, so all that was in the fermenter was the yeast and cold break. I also used gelatin to clear the beer and cold crashed it for 7 days prior to transfer to my bottling bucket. I swirled the trub and yeast that was at the bottom of my conical fermenter and got about 3 1/2 pints of slurry. After storing them in the refrigerator for a couple of days, I don't see a separation of the yeast and trub. Here are pics of what I have. I was expecting to see three layers (beer, yeast and trub). Instead, I just see two layers.

IMG_2083_zpstv2uyqua.jpg

A closeup shows no separation between the trub and yeast.
IMG_2084_zpsdthkbuuc.jpg

I was planning to reuse this yeast in an Octoberfest lager recipe later this week. I'm a little hesitant now, since I'm not sure I want to add all that trub back in. Am I worried about nothing? My gut instinct is to go out and buy more yeast. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Off topic. Did you use a muslin bag and poured finished fermented beer through that when you bottled? If you did that you heavily oxidised the beer.

On topic: If you use bigger jars (tall and thin is the best) and more water, or less yeast into each jar, you'd most probably see some some separation.

I have starterd to collect what has settled in the bottom of my kegs. Thats some pretty clean yeast. Then all i have to do is build it up with a starter.

Aren't those the lower flocculent populations?

I think you meant the higher flocculent pops, as they have settled out :) But lower attenuative if there's still lots in suspension.

But, if it's after fermentation, where most have settled out its kind of a 50/50 mix, although there still some in suspension. It depends on when it's harvested.

I think you meant the higher flocculent pops, as they have settled out :) But lower attenuative if there's still lots in suspension.

But, if it's after fermentation, where most have settled out its kind of a 50/50 mix, although there still some in suspension. It depends on when it's harvested.

The high flocculent ones settle out in the fermentor, leaving less flocculent ones behind (clean up crew) that will either floc out during cold crashing or later in the keg over time. So no, those in the keg are mostly low flocculent.

The high flocculent ones settle out in the fermentor, leaving less flocculent ones behind (clean up crew) that will either floc out during cold crashing or later in the keg over time. So no, those in the keg are mostly low flocculent.

My bad, i read "kegs" as "fermenters" for some reason.

You are absolutely right. That's not yeast I'd like to harvest for a repitch. It will alter the performance of the yeast if you select yeast for harvest so far out in the chain.

I have starterd to collect what has settled in the bottom of my kegs. Thats some pretty clean yeast. Then all i have to do is build it up with a starter.

My bad, i read "kegs" as "fermenters" for some reason.

You are absolutely right. That's not yeast I'd like to harvest for a repitch. It will alter the performance of the yeast if you select yeast for harvest so far out in the chain.

I too have often looked at those slurries in the bottom of the kegs, wondering if and where I can use them. Haven't found a purpose yet.

Perhaps krausening them and add to a stalled or unexpected high FG beer?

I too have often looked at those slurries in the bottom of the kegs, wondering if and where I can use them. Haven't found a purpose yet.

Perhaps krausening them and add to a stalled or unexpected high FG beer?

That seems wise. Krausening them and add them to especially lagers might seem like a good idea, If you do a traditional german lagerfermentation where you add kräusen then lower the temp for lagering. But still, just saving some of the yeast at pitch for kräusen does it for me at least.

But they have been through som stress, the whole ride, and then sitting under pressure for a while. My guess is that you'd get some deads, but maybe you'd be able to rince some of them out before repitching.

Back